Boycott China Boat Restaurant on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just returned from Maui. We stay in Kahana and went to the China Boat restaurant for dinner one night. I saw that they had Shark Fin soup on the menu.:shakehead: We left, but only after telling the manager why. They said something about they were out anyway, but I told them it was still on the menu and until it was removed, I would encourage people in any way I could to avoid them. I am following up my visit with a letter, but hope people will not eat there until they take it off the menu.

When I see it on the menu I leave - but I fear this will just drive it off the menu, not out of the kitchen.

Where is the China Boat Restaurant? Never been there...sounds like I won't either....

Between Kahana and Napili, 4474 Lower Honoapiilani Rd.

When I see it on the menu I leave - but I fear this will just drive it off the menu, not out of the kitchen.

Not much else we can do. I have to hope capitalism wins over the status of it being there.

One small step Mike, good for you!

If we all did exactly the same thing, a difference can be made. Not doing so, only gives tacet approval to it.

It seems that those who dive tend to want to help defend sharks from the practice of finning. Perhaps the best thing to do to reduce demand would be to encourage more diving in China, where the dish is most popular. Given the recent rise in the Chinese middle class, it sounds like a business opportunity. It seems there is a dive industry there, particularly around Hong Kong, but information online seems sparse. Anyone know anything about the state of the industry?

Well, since I've never been to Hawaii, this will be easy for me to boycott!

I found a lot of the Chinese restaurants around Oahu have it on the menu. I found one that doesn't and now only eat there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom