Boy vs. Girl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_Dives

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for ways a gal & guy can compete on physical fitness measures.

One opportunity are the physical fitness tests used by the armed forces. While it offers an opportunity to compete, the push-ups and sit-ups are not exactly exciting.

I went looking for agility or balance standards, and not having much success. Those seem like more fun than push-ups. Any suggestions for agility tests?

Does anyone have suggestions for other fun competitions?

If agility and balance are the best you can come up with...you don't have a chance BWAHAHAHAHA! Better stick with the sit-ups and push ups, trust me :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

If agility and balance are the best you can come up with...you don't have a chance BWAHAHAHAHA! Better stick with the sit-ups and push ups, trust me :wink:

Ooh, Bunny talking some smack! :11: I think you're afraid and trying to divert me. :D

*sniff* *sniff*

Yeah, that's fear I'm smelling. :rofl3:

Please don't hurt me.

:D

You could always try this burpee variation.

1, start from standing
2, Crouch, hands on the floor
3, thrust legs back to press up start position
4, Pressup
5, Legs back to the crouched position
6, Jump as high as you can (more advanced knees to chest)
7, repeat.

That is one repetition, try doing 20 see how you get on

Ber's right, you don't want to put men up against women in a balance type competition, the women win no problem.

Yeah, that's fear I'm smelling. :rofl3:

Hmm, I was expecting additional smack down from my buddy...I wonder when it's coming...and in what form...is that a flying monkey I hear??? :11:

Ber's right, you don't want to put men up against women in a balance type competition, the women win no problem.

The idea is to help each other improve. We can gender adjust the tests. :wink:

Here's one example of a running agility test. Basically and up and back, touch the line type of test with some cones thrown in.
Illinois Agility Test
Note that men and women have different time requirements to earn different skill ratings. For example, the "excellent" women's time is "average" on the men's table.

Here's one example of a running agility test. Basically and up and back, touch the line type of test with some cones thrown in.
Illinois Agility Test
Note that men and women have different time requirements to earn different skill ratings. For example, the "excellent" women's time is "average" on the men's table.

FYI, this site lists a bunch of tests for agility, power, speed, strength, flexibility, endurance, balance, coordination, reaction time and other such measures.

I know it's been a while since the last post, but if you're still looking for ideas. As a rock climber, rappeller, paddle boarder, mountain biker, I've got some cross training ideas that can be used as a comp.

-Of course, biking is a fun way to see whose best, especially mountain biking
-Slacklining is fun, all about balance
-Indoor rock walls are also great
-Paddleboard races, short distance
-Reverse zip-lining, pulling yourself up the zipline
-Free rope ascensions
-Obstacle courses
-Vertical obstacle courses

Hope I helped a little, have fun

I know it's been a while since the last post, but if you're still looking for ideas. As a rock climber, rappeller, paddle boarder, mountain biker, I've got some cross training ideas that can be used as a comp.

-Of course, biking is a fun way to see whose best, especially mountain biking
-Slacklining is fun, all about balance
-Indoor rock walls are also great
-Paddleboard races, short distance
-Reverse zip-lining, pulling yourself up the zipline
-Free rope ascensions
-Obstacle courses
-Vertical obstacle courses

Hope I helped a little, have fun

What is "slacklining"? Oh and what's a paddleboard?

BTW, it's me he's looking to compete with at the moment :D I have too much of an advantage on the cardio machines at the gym because I'm 60 pounds lighter and though he can produce more strides than me the machines take weight into consideration on their distance calculations so I usually win :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

Well, slacklining is kinda hard to explain, but simple in practice, yet challenging, sorry if I lost you already, but it is pretty much a strap of webbing stretched really tight across two points, such as two trees, 2 in. wide ratcheting tie-down straps would work, though they do make actual "slacklines" you can get them from Mountain Gear, or other rock climbing places, usually. Then all you do is try to walk across this streched piece of webbing.

A paddleboard is pretty much a really long surfboard, usually around 12 ft, and you lay down on it and paddle, you can sprint paddle or do long distance, or you can go pro. and buy a "real" paddleboard, which looks a lot like a thin kayak that you kneel on. I use an old windsurfing board without the sail, very fun.

Hope I cleared it up a little, any other questions, please ask.
Have fun competing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom