Boy this is a can of worms. What should I ....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would highly recommend talking to Bob Sherwood at www.allaboutscuba.com before making any equipment purchases. He is your local GUE instructor. More importantly, if you're truly interested in DIR, I'd recommend a DIRF class. If you think DIR is for you, I'd take Buyouncy 1 at www.scubashackct.com with Ed Hayes, then take DIRF with Bob. With your number of dives, you will get more out of DIRF this way.

Trust me on this.

AquaHump:
Okay I get the idea apeks is the the way to go. now, what is the recomended one and what is the MSRP? Should I buy from my LDS or from an on line store and who is good to buy from?

AquaHump:
Okay I get the idea apeks is the the way to go. now, what is the recomended one and what is the MSRP? Should I buy from my LDS or from an on line store and who is good to buy from?

Wow! That question might be more loaded than the original DIR reg question. :wink:

There's two ways you can go with this:

LDS: A bit more expensive, better service/support, and warranty. Possible reduced costs on future service/repairs.

Internet: A bit less expensive depending on where you go, no reduced costs on service/repairs, may or may not get a warranty, etc...

I personaly went the Internet route for the regs. I'm planning on doing all of my service/repair jobs because it's something I want to learn, and once I have the experience working on the regs, I'll know that they're in top notch condition. Also, saving a bit of money was important. With Apeks gear for single tank rig, doubles rig, argon, and stage rigs (x 2 divers), that gets expensive.

Although we did not buy directly from our LDS, the parts did come from a local source. I've discussed our purchase with our LDS, and they're willing to work with us on warranty issues. So that's an added bonus.

In the end, it really depends on your priorities, and how you intend to maintain the equipment over the long run. The safe route would be to buy this sort of thing from a local shop, but it could go both ways depending on the shop you choose. HTH

~ Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom