Boy this is a can of worms. What should I ....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaHump

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am new to diving and the DIR way is very appealing. I am looking into buying a reg for myself I would like to know what you guys recommend. I have be looking at the oceanic delta 3 and the aqua-lung legend for ice diving.

AquaHump:
I am new to diving and the DIR way is very appealing. I am looking into buying a reg for myself I would like to know what you guys recommend. I have be looking at the oceanic delta 3 and the aqua-lung legend for ice diving.

Nice to see you post over here...

I think you will find that Scuba Pro and Apeks will be the most recommended brands. That is not to say Oceanic isn't acceptable - but with the few GUE/DIR people I have spoken to and dove with ScubaPro and Apeks are #1 and #2 (not necessarily in that order).

FWIW I use a ScubaPro MK20/G250 w/ a R390 backup.

AquaHump:

Any of the popular regs will do... but if you look at what most of the DIR/tech guys are diving you'll notice that Scuba Pro and Apeks lead the pack. I like to point new divers to the bitz website.. They talk about the total cost of diving. I personally like Apeks DS4, and Scubapro...

http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/bitzspendwisely.htm

My Regs DS4 Primary Aqualung Micra and SP 380 sec

JWU42:
Ben,

Great link and rather true. When I first bought my gear in the mid 90's I was asked if there were any asperations of more demanding cave/tech dives. I said maybe and wound up spending a fair bit more on the MK20/G250. I have never regretted that decision.

It's best to find a DIR mentor around you are... There shoud be some close by. Most of them are more than wiling to help you along the way. There's also that equipment book that came out of Canada recently... There's another thread here about that. Check out what the other guys around you are diving.... especially if they're going to be your dive buddies.

JWU42 Yeah If I knew what I know now I would have saved alot also That's why whenever I find out that a friend is thinking about taking OW I'll pass him along the DIR-F book and let him decide.

Although I am not a DIR diver.. but reading / studying the philosophies, etc..

If you are serious about diving, buy the best equipment you can afford. Will outlast any "deals" you make in the beginning...

Personally use Scubapro MK25 / 550 / 390...

Scubapro / Apeks will be the most recommended..

Apeks is a great choice for a cold water reg, since you mention ice diving. It is environmentally sealed, easy to maintain, and virtually bulletproof. Look into DS4 DIN first stages and ATX50 or TX50 2nd stages.

ScubaPro regulators are not considered good cold water performers, but are excellent warm water regulators.

One consideration is to get 2nd stages with a faceplate that can be removed underwater. Apeks fit this qualification, as do most ScubaPros, though some SPs require a pin to be removed before diving to make this true.

AquaHump:

Oceanics new Delta 4 reg:
"...when the dive is finished, before the regulator is even removed from the tank valve, the Dry Reg Technology system closes, preventing moisture from entering the tank..."
I would check that the delta 3 does not have this same kind of contraption which, DIR aside, is quite nonsensical. I guess you can figure out for yourself what will happen if this thing malfunctions at depth.

For cold water i think most people will recommend Apeks regs.

Okay I get the idea apeks is the the way to go. now, what is the recomended one and what is the MSRP? Should I buy from my LDS or from an on line store and who is good to buy from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom