Box jellys in Bonaire now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaducer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got home from a trip to Bonaire. Just posting a warning to anyone at or headed to the Island, I got hit by a banded box jelly Thursday night snorkeling. Hurt really bad and I still have quite a mark, but nothing more than that.

Make sure you are wearing at least a dive skin. I was just in a bathing suit that night. :dork2:

All in all I saw two that night, the second one I almost ran face first into, so they are there.

Just an FYI. I wouldn't let it stop me from diving, but be on the lookout.

"Box Jellies" are also called "Sea Wasps" and are all over the world in one verity or another, although the Caribbean version will leave a welt, it is not as dangerous as the South Pacific verity! A blast from your reg before exiting the ride will bubble them away:wink:

I've heard that irukandji may have even spread to the Caribbean.

Yeah I snorkelled with them but didn't realise they were dangerous until afterwords! They are pretty rare so you're lucky to have seen them (although less lucky to be stung!) Watch out for the Portugese Man of War which is more dangerous - my mums friend almost died after being stung when swimming (not diving - doing laps in the sea).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom