Bouyancy Performance Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
From time to time there have been threads regarding how much wing capacity is enough. I think it would be helpful to collect data on this.

I am interested in reports from people who dive wet in temperate or cold water with low capacity wings like the Pioneer 27, Dive Rite Travel Wing, or any other BC with a capacity known to be 30 pounds or less.

Please let me know the heaviest wetsuit exposure protection and largest tank that you have been able to use with your rig, and the depth. If you don't mind, mention your wetsuit size and amount of weight. Indicate if there were any problems.

For example, Pioneer 27, SS BP plus 12# weight, 7 mil full suit plus 5 mil core warmer, size L, gloves, 5 mil hood and boots, single steel 104. 100 fsw, no problems.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

leadweight once bubbled...
from people who dive wet... with low capacity wings... or any other BC
I wanted to tell about my dive today with a single steel 72, plastic backpack, 18#s, 62fsw for 40 minutes, start pressure 2500psi/end pressure 800psi (I was a little light at the end so I will use a 20# belt next time.)

But...

I wasn't using a wing or BC...

And...

I was using a trilam drysuit with 300g polarfleece and a polar fleece vest.

PUG

What happened to the weezle?

omar

It's in the bag man :D I will get it out for summer diving... just too cold now.

I know there are folks who claim it is warm and toasty but that is only if you loft it by having what I consider too much gas in the suit.

I don't like diving a bag of gas so I let my suit snug down on me and the way a weezel compacts nicely into that little storage bag also means that it compresses so much in my suit that I get cold.

I think that is how they have been diving in the Antarctic. Backpack, drysuit, single tank, no wing. Still hoping to hear how far people can push it wet.

Back
Top Bottom