bouyancy control tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

I agree with your last sentence, but the thread has digressed from that initial point. As far as flying, think IFR conditions. Your brain is a very smart tool, that can be very quickly confused. Ever thought your compass was wrong? I have.

The compass was right. I trust it and my other gear before I trust some animal to maintain it's depth while I hover. So...I use my technology while I look around. And I maintain position based on what my technology tells me, and by my ears. Ears can lie though, especially if you dive all the time.

Your brain is a very smart tool, that can be very quickly confused.

That is a problem again in diving and flying - it gets confused with the signals its getting.

Small diving example, doing our deco stop on a shot line just thumb/finger O shape around it to avoid finning against current. Divers are coming up from below. Staring straight ahead as their bubbles reach and pass you on the way to the surface you start to feel like you're sinking - even the stomach tells you that. The more bubbles there are the more pronounced the feeling. During that situation the only way to orientate yourself is to (i) start at the link in the shot line chain and make sure it doesnt move and (ii) look at computer or depth gauge to verify you arent moving.

Without those 2 things you would be sure you were sinking. Moral of that story is use every reference available to you and not to trust gut instincts alone.

Similar to flying with disorientation in cloud (especially if strobe lights are on) and "whiteout" flying through and over snow. Again the instruments can tell you something your brain is confused about.

Looking at tiny marine life that might or might not be there and may well be moving up or down in a microcurrent doesnt strike me as the best way to do things on its own.

String:
During that situation the only way to orientate yourself is to (i) start at the link in the shot line chain and make sure it doesnt move and (ii) look at computer or depth gauge to verify you arent moving.
Looking at tiny marine life that might or might not be there and may well be moving up or down in a microcurrent doesnt strike me as the best way to do things on its own.
I guess you don't believe in the Depth Gauges Rot Yer Brain philosophy. :wink: with further info: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=30133&page=3&pp=14 :banana:

It looks to me like this whole thread can be summarize as

ARGUMENT A: junk and critters in the water give nice visual feedback to assist you in maintaining constant depth (with absolute depth shown by computer/depth gauge), versus

ARGUMENT B: one should rely upon the depth gauge (with the help of visual references like links on the shot chain).

Nope. Doesn't look like we will ever be able to resolve our difference :banana: I think I'll go diving instead.

lol cant say im a believer in that no :)

I still maintain the tiny creatures in the water (if you can see them) move up and down in the column through small currents so arent a good guide.

I have a 3rd method for judging my ascent rate albeit limited. when i feel the material on the upper shoulder of my drysuit pull a bit i know some air has expanded so ive gone up so need to dump some air :) Ive gotten quite used to ascending and knowing when i need to dump and slow it when i feel a tug.

On a dive with NO visual references (yes they exist) you have no choice but to rely on gauges and a watch. Relying solely on one method alone whether its visual or electronic is in my view a bit daft.

Sometimes the visibility is poor because of environmental and/or biological conditions and sometimes it is crappy because a pod of rototillers just passed through.

Some threads are like that too.

Uncle Pug:
Sometimes the visibility is poor because of environmental and/or biological conditions and sometimes it is crappy because a pod of rototillers just passed through.

Bingo.

Uncle Pug:

LOL, isn't it always like that, though? :11:

Actually, I read this advice last year and found it quite helpful. I had done a free-water ascent early on in my diving career (drift dive in the Narrows, green-water ascent from about 50 fsw) and had a heck of a time maintaining my depth while staring at my Suunto. I found myself always overcompensating... it would show me sinking and by the time it caught up I would be ascending again. Repeat the cycle of depth between 10 and 20 FSW until the safety stop was over. I'm still not the best on an open-water ascent but using your advice has really helped me improve.

Jimmie

Many years ago I learned to sail and how to navigate at sea.
My teacher (a navigator of many ocean crossings) told me, "Never pass up a line of position." Even on a snotty day he could grab a sun, moon or start shot if one of them was visable even for less than a minute. He didn't ever trust any one instrument as being correct, he was always cross checking and observing. Even when I couldn't tell that there were adequate references he would be able to accurately state the current simply because he was watching everything he could and running the numbers both on paper and in his head. Even things like the size and shape of the waves compared to the local wind would tell him important things.

What does this have to do with diving?
There are LOTS of things going on around you and if you observe and think about what they might be telling you, you can find out lots of things. The little things floating in the water, the bigger things swimming, little bubbles, big bubbles, the feel of pressure changes on your ears, the feel of water temperature on your body and many times the difference in temperature between different parts of your body, depth gage, computer, hang line, anchor line, any plants (kelp), heck I have only scratched the surface of what is there to tell you something about what is happening.

Why would you want to ignore good information?

Never give up a line of position. :D

pipedope:
Many years ago I learned to sail and how to navigate at sea.
My teacher (a navigator of many ocean crossings) told me, "Never pass up a line of position." Even on a snotty day he could grab a sun, moon or start shot if one of them was visable even for less than a minute. He didn't ever trust any one instrument as being correct, he was always cross checking and observing. Even when I couldn't tell that there were adequate references he would be able to accurately state the current simply because he was watching everything he could and running the numbers both on paper and in his head. Even things like the size and shape of the waves compared to the local wind would tell him important things.

What does this have to do with diving?
There are LOTS of things going on around you and if you observe and think about what they might be telling you, you can find out lots of things. The little things floating in the water, the bigger things swimming, little bubbles, big bubbles, the feel of pressure changes on your ears, the feel of water temperature on your body and many times the difference in temperature between different parts of your body, depth gage, computer, hang line, anchor line, any plants (kelp), heck I have only scratched the surface of what is there to tell you something about what is happening.

Why would you want to ignore good information?

Never give up a line of position. :D
Thank you sir!
An excellent summary, accurate and in perspective.
Rick

:wink: :11:

learn to control your bouyancy then close your eyes for
most of the time. open them only to check the gauges.

:eyebrow: :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom