Bought two new steel 80s...filled with air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes you can fill them with nitrox IF the source is from a bank or a blender, which is very likely these days. If the shop filling them is using partial pressure, then the tanks must be O2 clean because the partial pressure fill method introduces 100% O2 to the tanks.
your post does not agree with the CFR's regarding this. It says 23.5 and above gas mix requires cleaned for O2 service. I dont agree with that mentality so I am more a messenger than anything else. teh tank is O2 cleaned formteh factory but you get caught in a corner because thier was no valve on the tank when you got it. only a shipping plug, so shops say the inside is in question.

If handled correctly teh tank should be visual inspected with a light for indications of hydrocarbons. when none is found (becaue of it being a new tank) you give it the nitrox sticker which now means cleaned for O2 service

The o2 service sticker does not mean it was cleaned. IT means that its cleanliness meets O2 service standards.

We have here a problem with scuba shop practices conflicting with other practices. What people have said about putting 40% or less nitrox into a non-O2 cleaned tank is indeed a scuba custom. On the other hand, the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) says any tank getting mixes above 23.5% must be O2 cleaned.

EDIT: An earlier typo said 13.5%
teh CGA portion is what is in the CFR's and that makes it trump in the decision making. no mix above 23.5 % by law can be in a tank that is not O2 cleaned. The reason is that they do not want to quibble about whether the tank mix came from PP or not. i dont like that they grouped premixed with PP but they did. 23.5 in any state is the standard. If you checked with the shop that says that,,,, I will bet you that they do not get their O2 systems cleaned every year either. that means all vessels which is piping valves etc that have to be O2 cleaned for use with any gas that is 23.5 and above in them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom