Bought "streamlined" regulator package...now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ptshrdn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Not wanting to continue renting post-COVID, I decided to buy the one remaining piece of gear I didn't have, a regulator. Although I am still relatively inexperienced (AOW, nitrox, ~30 dives), my BCD is a BP/W and I am a fan of streamlining my gear configuration. I do not, however, have any plans to do any tech diving and I am 100% sure I will never do a cave dive.

With that all in mind, I decided to buy the "streamlined" package after a bit of reading & watching YouTube videos, meaning long hose, primary donate, secondary on necklace. My research led me to believe that 7' primaries are used for cave diving, so I bought the package with a 5' primary hose.

Apparently, however, I didn't do quite enough research, because I didn't realize that the common config for the long hose goes around your head. I'm pretty tall and will need to make sure this is going to work for me. I also didn't realize I need to put a bolt snap on the primary to keep it secure while not in use. So, here is my current checklist:

* Put bolt snaps on the SPG & primary, on the hoses just outside the ferrule
* Get in a pool, check out the hose routing & make sure the 5' hose will work
* My primary didn't come with a swivel, where most packages I see do -- decide if I need to add this based on how much "pull" there is
* Get in a pool with my dive buddy (wife) and practice donate procedures

Am I missing anything obvious? Should we do the last step with a local instructor? Thanks.

A 5' can work, it just doesn't "anchor" on the right hip. You may or may not have issues with loose hose across your chest....

I would think the routing shown on Dive Gear Express would still work fine.
SP4000_Jon-845.jpg

I would 7 foot if you don't have a can light use a set of emt shears in a holster to anchor.

Most importantly train with the new configuration. Is there someone there who you can dive or pratice with? If no maybe consider a intro to fundies if someone offers it. The big thing is to be comfortable switching to your necklace and donating your long if needed.

You do need the bolt snaps on your SPG and primary second stage (and bungee on your backup aka octo).

You do not need a swivel if you are doing the around the back of your neck routing. The swivel (actually a 90° or 110° elbow is preferable) is for a 40 to 48 inch hose that goes under your arm and then straight up to your mouth. [Edit - like the Dive Gear Express triptych above]

Assuming you are already comfortable removing and replacing your regulator underwater, you don't need an instructor to practice primary donate.

Here's a few videos that may be helpful

Skills
(It's old, but exactly what you want to do for an air share except you won't need to untuck and retuck the extra hose unless you go up to a 7'.)

Rigging

A 5' can work, it just doesn't "anchor" on the right hip. You may or may not have issues with loose hose across your chest....
Or if your torso is really long or broad, 5' may not be quite long enough.

Yeah, I would go with 7' too. You are correct that it was developed in anticipation of a single file exit from a cave with the out of gas diver in front of the donating diver, but it works in all sorts of diving. Nice to have a bit of extra length in a situation where you may need to control a panicked diver from behind.

Also if you are tall, 5' might be a bit tight. Just put something on your right hip if you don't have a can light - there are even things designed to simply hold the loop cleanly. I think that is better than using a knife or shears, which you may deploy in an emergency, and then your hose may come lose in an already difficult situation, if the sheath isn't stiff enough to hold it on its own.

Shirley that's not a 5' / 1.5m hose? Looks shorter.

A 5' hose goes nicely under the armpit, behind the head and into your reg.

It is and don't call me Shirley. No it probably isn't I route my primary the same way and its a 48" hose. Funny story, my buddy had an OOA situation in a cenote and we had to go out single file. He was in front and I was basically tucked between his legs instead of 7' away. kind of wish i had that long hose that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom