Bought a new regulator today - Question about the primary second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BGASH

New
Reaction score
Bought this today. Noticed that there are two metal pieces that curve in through the mouthpiece (see photos below). Is this normal? What is the purpose of this? Thanks in advance!

IMG_0149_zpsw8kfzydq.jpg

IMG_0150_zps4mb647h2.jpg

Maybe venturi effect, to make easier breathing.

Is it new?
What brand/model?

Yep, a piece to increase the venturi effect in the reg. Most regs have it in some form or fashion but that is the first piece that "looks" added on.

It looks like a Sherwood ( possibly one of the versions of their Blizzard Regulator) with "heat transfer" fins and a teflon coated roller lever on for cold water diving.

Yep, a piece to increase the venturi effect in the reg. Most regs have it in some form or fashion but that is the first piece that "looks" added on.

Yeah I was a bit taken aback at first because it really looks like someone rigged the piece somehow. But that makes sense. Thanks!

I thought Sherwood installed those vanes as a heat sink and as a device to capture and return some of the moisture lost during exhalation.

I thought Sherwood installed those vanes as a heat sink and as a device to capture and return some of the moisture lost during exhalation.
agreed Sherwood Scuba Regulator
some of my second stages have the fins, some do not. i do not notice any difference in warm water diving.

Yes, Sherwood Oasis or Blizzard.
Advertized to act as a heat sink to prevent icing in the Blizzard and a condenser / moisturizer to help prevent cotton mouth in the Oasis.
The one in the pic is likely a Blizzard as it has a anti-freeze coating on the demand lever.
Fins did not act as venturi and actually slightly hindered performance compared to their non finned counterparts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom