Botton timer, presbyopia and night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

estresao

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My evolving presbyopia is already calling for bigger characters in my diving computer and I was wondering whether the replacement I'd like to get do really exist?. My whishes are:

- Botton timer instead of a computer (with bottom timer price)
- Big characters on screen
- Easily readable in night dives with no need of focusing always with a torch.

I think that doesn't exist such a thing and probably I'll end up wearing a LCD computer. I know there are cheaper devices than Perdix, but prices are closer to the Perdix one than to the Scubapro 330m one.

Any advise, plase?

The cheapest bottom timer I've found fulfilling all the wishes is the Divesoft Freedom Advanced Bottom Timer, but for the price I would get a "full computer" like a Perdix

Divesoft.cz

Good gravy....$559 for the Divesoft BT?!?!

No wonder JohnnyC and Dr Mike were raking me through the coals a few weeks ago.

I hadn’t seen that price. So, yeah...it totally makes sense to dig through the couch for a few more quarters and simply spring for a full DC than paying THAT much for a BT.

I think that doesn't exist such a thing and probably I'll end up wearing a LCD computer. I know there are cheaper devices than Perdix, but prices are closer to the Perdix one than to the Scubapro 330m one.

Sounds like you looked at the ScubaPro version and it didn’t make the cut for text and numeral size.

I guess the Citizen Aqualand Promaster watch with integrated depth meter wouldn’t make the cut, either.

Sounds like you looked at the ScubaPro version and it didn’t make the cut for text and numeral size.

I guess the Citizen Aqualand Promaster watch with integrated depth meter wouldn’t make the cut, either.
I've never thought in one of those, but certainly they seem a great option.

The Aqualand price (according to Citizen) is 398 EUR, so not as cheap as a Scuba Pro 330m. Plus dive numbers are small and old fashion digital format, but there are other Citizen whatches that seems pretty appealing.

Very nice on night the Eco Drive BN2024-05E with reflecting gauges but.... 590 EUR

My evolving presbyopia is already calling for ...
Do you already have lenses in your mask?

I, too, have presbyopia and I have been using +2.5 diopter lenses at the bottom part of my mask and I have no trouble reading any of my computers as well as the detail on my camera, even at night. It also helps finding small organisms.

Another option is a small head torch which allows you to read gauges, etc. that are not self illuminating.

Do you already have lenses in your mask?

I, too, have presbyopia and I have been using +2.5 diopter lenses at the bottom part of my mask and I have no trouble reading any of my computers as well as the detail on my camera, even at night. It also helps finding small organisms.

Another option is a small head torch which allows you to read gauges, etc. that are not self illuminating.

I have not yet lenses in my mask because my prebyopia is egolving since not many time ago, but now I find hard to read my compass and computer if I don't separate them from my face. I guess I'll end up getting my mask ready.

Once I've borrowed one of these small torch and worked fine, but I was not able to find them (I have to say I didn't a hard work )

I have not yet lenses in my mask because my prebyopia is egolving since not many time ago, but now I find hard to read my compass and computer if I don't separate them from my face. I guess I'll end up getting my mask ready.
I started with something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Dive-Optx-Scuba-Magnification-Lenses/dp/B07C3H1RVH which were cheap and showed me the value of using lenses. I found, though, that they didn't stick well, especially after doing 2-4 dives in a day. I now have properly fitted lenses and they are great.

Once I've borrowed one of these small torch and worked fine, but I was not able to find them (I have to say I didn't a hard work )
I have one of these that works well: Head Light: 450-Lumen Extra-Wide BeamSKU: HL450XW | Bigblue Dive Lights

I started with something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Dive-Optx-Scuba-Magnification-Lenses/dp/B07C3H1RVH which were cheap and showed me the value of using lenses. I found, though, that they didn't stick well, especially after doing 2-4 dives in a day. I now have properly fitted lenses and they are great.

I have one of these that works well: Head Light: 450-Lumen Extra-Wide BeamSKU: HL450XW | Bigblue Dive Lights
The mask torch I've used once was similar to this one:

Scuba Mask Light

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom