bottom timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goatboy_k

Reaction score
hi everyone, im in the market for a bottom timer. Ive read through most of the posts i can find and haven't really come to a conclusion. So far im looking at the oms bottom timer and the D3 sunnto. Both seem to do about the same thing except the D3 has the count up timer, which ive read is very handy for deco stops. If price is no object between these what would the pros of scubaboard choose and why.

also does the D3 do temp?

also considering forking out the extra 100 bucks for the vyper and using it in gauge mode. So i can have a regular computer to go tool around with the girlfriend with doing rec. dives. How does the vyper compare in gauge mode with these others?

i'll be using this for my advance nitrox class and future tech training. User replaceable batteries is important to me. Downloading the profile is intresting but not a dealbreaker?

any other models good for bottom times for deco diving?
any comments, questions, and advice is always welcome as long as it has a reason to back it up. Thanks everyone

kurt

Well, I have a Suunto Vyper, OMS bottom timer, and a Gshock watch.
I like the Vyper in gauge mode (big display, dowloading of the dives with graph which is nice for review), but it doesnt have seconds to time deco stops. I dont have any experience with the D3, but I also would like to hear from people who use it to time the stops (does it have seconds?).
So, for now, I dive with the vyper, and the g shock for the stops.

yes im pretty for sure that the regular bottom time is measured in plain minutes, but when you fire off the count up timer at your stops it is in minutes and seconds. I thought this might be a good feature from what i hear but having trouble finding anyone that has used all the models and features to compare.

kurt

ps from what i understand when using the count up timer i belive that the total bottom time is still shown in the corner while the counter appears in the center display.

can anyone comment on this

kurt

The D3 tracks temperature, time, dive time, etc., and has the deco stop timer, which is in minutes and seconds.

After making a few adjustments to the hardware, there's nothing I'd change about it except to add an average depth function during the dive. Currently it's only available post dive.

It wasn't important at first, but now I appreciate the download function.

i also noticed that the D3 comes in two different types of bands a rubber one and a neoprene one, which do most people buy and use, or do they take the band off and rig bungee's?

kurt

goatboy_k:
i also noticed that the D3 comes in two different types of bands a rubber one and a neoprene one, which do most people buy and use, or do they take the band off and rig bungee's?
My cave buddy and I use bungees both for additional security and ease of use.

Depending on model of D3 you get, you may need to install a pair of C-clips to act as anchors for the bungee. They're included in a Suunto kit from REI, which includes a spare battery and o-ring for $10.00.

Scubapro is supposedly coming out with a new BT equivalent to the D3, but with an avg depth feature. I'm not holding my breath.

so which model of D3 should i get if im planning on bungeeing it? can you elaborate a bit more on the differences?

kurt

goatboy_k:
so which model of D3 should i get if im planning on bungeeing it? can you elaborate a bit more on the differences?
It's not so much a model as a change in manufacturing. One type has the C-clips already installed (or at least enough room to run the bungees around the pin), while the other has an extremely shallow trench for the pin. Mine is the latter and the C-clips were required to create space for the bungee.

thanks for the tip. By the way do you have a link to REI??

kurt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom