D4i stuck in deco mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jombo

New
Reaction score
We bought a second-hand D4i as a dive computer for my girlfriend, who just finished the OWD three weeks ago. The previous owner told us that the battery was recently replaced by a qualified diving shop and that they also confirmed that the computer was working perfectly fine.

Now, we went to my girlfriends first dive outside the OWD last Saturday and took the computer with us. During the dive it seemed to work perfectly fine (she said so and I occasionly also threw a glance on it and didn't discover anything unusual) - but immediately after the first dive, it was stuck in deco mode and stayed this way ever since (the dive was ~80h ago):

1632862205763.png

The buttons have the following effects:
Mode: none (neither short nor long press, just nothing seems to happen except maybe the timer starts/stops but this happens not every time we press it)
Select: sets a bookmark
up: cycles through dive time (which is 0), temperature (---), PO2 (--), OLF% (---) and therefore represents the expected result when in dive mode with nitrox
down: cycles between max depth (----), time (correct time) and therefore represents the expected result when in dive mode air.

From the dive profile we had (12m max, 35 min according to my computer), no deco stop should have been initiated. We googled around and found this post Why is my D4i in gauge mode? How do I get it out of this mode? and we thought that maybe it wasn't set to air mode for some reason (even though we surely checked this in the buddy check) and had it in free mode. But as written above: the dive is now ~80h ago and the computer should unlock after 48h.

We contacted the previous owner, she will contact the dive shop where she had the battery replaced tomorrow.

What could it be, is it maybe something very obvious we didn't think of? Of course we went through the manual, but didn't find any info on this particular problem. Thank you!

Sunnto are known to have pressure sensor failures and this could be your problem.

Sunnto are known to have pressure sensor failures and this could be your problem.

Thanks a lot for the information. This might very well be the issue.

It seems to be just bad luck then. I know two other divers who are perfectly happy with the D4i, and I explicitly recommended her this specific cmputer. Well, we will see what the dive shop can do about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom