Boots or Socks on your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been lurking and trying to soak up as much as possible about drysuits as I will be going dry in the next couple of months. I have a question for those of you who have been diving dry for a while....

What do you have for your feet, attached boots or socks (Using a rock boot or such). Are you happy with what you've been using? I have gone from wanting the attached to moving to the sock and back:confused:.

It is now crunch time and will need to decide... Thanks for sharing!

I have socks... and put rock boots over them...would much prefer boots... a lot of extra work and more gear to carry.

I have Turbosoles. Would I recommend TurboSoles or Rock Boots?

Rock Boots are definitely more robust, plus you don't have to worry about air going to your feet.

If the water is really cold, I would rather have TurboSoles so that I can wear really thick, warm socks.

If you have to climb over rocks, I would defintiely stay away from TurboSoles.

I've got built in boots on my High Tide drysuit. I like them a lot.

First, look at your logbook and see the types of dives you have done. Do you have a lot of beach dives as opposed to boat dives? Of these beach dives, did any of them involve climbing over rocks, walking on gravel or schlepping gear down and up a dirt road or trail? If you answered yes to any of these scenarios and plan on diving these same sites then I would definitely recommend the rock boots.

Secondly, you have to consider the possible added cost of having to get a new pair of fins. Unless you have been diving with a molded sole(tennis shoe) type wet suit boot it is likely that you may have to get new fins if you opt for the rock boots. Even if you have been diving the aforementioned thick sole boot there is no guarantee that the fit of your current fins will be the same. After all, depending on the conditions you dive, you may be adding as much as 5mm worth of bulk(insulation) to the size of your foot and this is all inside a 2mm layer of compressed neoprene.

If you have a local shop that rents dry suits I suggest trying the fit and feel of both systems.

Personally, I use rock boots but this is due to the fact that my first dry suit which had Turbo soles is now two sizes too big.:shocked2:

socks with rock boots

Calijoe gave some good advice. Out here in Monterey and Carmel, shore diving involves LOTS of rock climbing which demands rock boots or turbo soles. So, to answer the question, I'm a fan of the rock boot. But it's only .02.

Cliff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom