Boondocking in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I started a thread on camping at Florida beaches, but I did not do a good job at making my intentions clear. To clarify my plans better, I'd be camping in a small Sportliner, which is kind of a big metal tent with basic RV comforts.

See photo: http://aliner.com/page21.html

When I say 'camping at beaches' I mean 'boondocking' as it is called in RV circles in a parking area for free with my camper without hookups. I am not intending to park my camper on the beach sand. The Sportliner is great as a comfort room when diving. I also use it in the winter for my snow sports. It has a great forced air furnace. Many ski resorts let you boondock in their parking lots for free, especially weekdays.

I know in Florida 'boondocking' is frowned upon, especially in the Keys, but was wondering if any beach or 'close to beach' areas that is not in the Keys are more easy going to boondockers? The Keys campgrounds charge crazy fees to just park primitive with a RV. Even with no hookups it is $1500 to $1800 per month plus 11% tax on that. Yes, they have a few cheaper RV parks in the Keys in the $40 to $45 per day plus tax range. But with the high gasoline prices and all, budget travel is getting tough.

I try to save as much money as I can for the diving, which eats up lots of money as you all know. I was telling my wife it cost $270 a month just to shower when on the road if you do it at truck stops @ $9 a day at TA or Flying J. But trucks stops let you overnight for free if you can stand all the air brakes blasting all night.

Ginnie is very reasonable with $16 per day per person to boondock without hookups, But Ginnie is not where I'll be at most of the time while in Florida. Any advice for boondocking plans in Florida is appreciated.

BTW, if boondocking sounds like it is for you, check it out on the web, tons of sites from urban boondockers to wilderness BLM types.

Thanks for your help.

Don't know anything about the rest of Florida, but in the Keys, overnight parking (camping) for RVs anywhere but campgrounds is prohibited. WalMarts, which are RV friendly almost everywhere else, don't allow overnight parking in Florida. Kinda makes me think boondocking in Florida is severely frowned-upon. There are some really nice state parks here, though, where you can camp for not a lot of money.
Just north of High Springs is O'Leno S.P. where you can camp with hookups for about $16 for two people. It's not as convenient as staying right at Ginnie Springs, but the campground is a lot nicer.

The Wal-Mart in DeFuniak Springs (Panhandle) allows boondocking. But of course that is LA.

WyCal:
Don't know anything about the rest of Florida, but in the Keys, overnight parking (camping) for RVs anywhere but campgrounds is prohibited. WalMarts, which are RV friendly almost everywhere else, don't allow overnight parking in Florida. Kinda makes me think boondocking in Florida is severely frowned-upon. There are some really nice state parks here, though, where you can camp for not a lot of money.
Just north of High Springs is O'Leno S.P. where you can camp with hookups for about $16 for two people. It's not as convenient as staying right at Ginnie Springs, but the campground is a lot nicer.

Thanks, is this Walmart's policy throughout Florida or just in the lower parts?

Everytime I drive by the tollway plaza's, I notice the signs "nighttime security"... Makes me wonder if they allow permit folks parking overnight to sleep in their cars...

Also - Walmart in Fla. City - definately a zoo everytime I drive by. RV's all over... (Then again - that could have been a race weekend....)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom