Booking Today/Tomorrow, but which hotel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hover-Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok, so I've finally gotten the Go Ahead! We're booking either tonight or tomorrow. Let me preface by saying this: she's been to cozumel, I have not. We will be there 4 nights, diving 2-3 tanks/day (all we can afford right now) and spending the afternoons in the sun on a chair or on the beach, going to town in the evening and enjoying a nice dinner. We would really like breakfast included so we don't have to scramble for money before hitting the boat for a morning dive. Then coming back to the room and eating something we picked up at the local grocery to save money (so a hotel with a mini-fridge is a big plus).

With that type of trip in mind. I've got a few hotels narrowed down and their prices (including airlines....these were gathered from Orbitz, Travelocity and STA Travel - we're students). I know there's a lot of reviews for each hotel around, but I figured I'd put them all together with the prices I'm getting and see what everyone here thought.

So, I need your help in picking what you think is the best bang for the buck hotel package based on your experience. Thanks in advance for taking your time to look over this with me.

(all packages are RT Air + 4 night hotel, not in any particular order, though we're leaning toward FA right now)

1. Fiesta Americana - $488 (Grand Class rm w/ cont. bkfst)
2. Casa Mexicana - $480
3. Hotel Fontan - $388
4. Villablanca - $417
and finally thowing another one in (that I know is not on the water)
5. Suites Bahia - $390

Like I said, we're booking today or tomorrow, and we need some last minute advice. We're leaning toward FA like I said because of the "beach" and pier pick-up plus the on-site (we're hoping to do a few shore dives...yes we know they're not great, but they should be cheap just to get a few number in the ol' log).

Thanks again friends!!!

Ok, so I've finally gotten the Go Ahead! We're booking either tonight or tomorrow. Let me preface by saying this: she's been to cozumel, I have not. We will be there 4 nights, diving 2-3 tanks/day (all we can afford right now) and spending the afternoons in the sun on a chair or on the beach, going to town in the evening and enjoying a nice dinner. We would really like breakfast included so we don't have to scramble for money before hitting the boat for a morning dive. Then coming back to the room and eating something we picked up at the local grocery to save money (so a hotel with a mini-fridge is a big plus).

With that type of trip in mind. I've got a few hotels narrowed down and their prices (including airlines....these were gathered from Orbitz, Travelocity and STA Travel - we're students). I know there's a lot of reviews for each hotel around, but I figured I'd put them all together with the prices I'm getting and see what everyone here thought.

So, I need your help in picking what you think is the best bang for the buck hotel package based on your experience. Thanks in advance for taking your time to look over this with me.

(all packages are RT Air + 4 night hotel, not in any particular order, though we're leaning toward FA right now)

1. Fiesta Americana - $488 (Grand Class rm w/ cont. bkfst)
2. Casa Mexicana - $480
3. Hotel Fontan - $388
4. Villablanca - $417
and finally thowing another one in (that I know is not on the water)
5. Suites Bahia - $390

Like I said, we're booking today or tomorrow, and we need some last minute advice. We're leaning toward FA like I said because of the "beach" and pier pick-up plus the on-site (we're hoping to do a few shore dives...yes we know they're not great, but they should be cheap just to get a few number in the ol' log).

Thanks again friends!!!

I don't mean to make things more complicated for you, but Blue Angel Dive Resort (formerly Caribe Blu) has all that stuff, too. The on site op is great and the hotel is small and charming. Breakfast is included and the shore diving isn't bad, considering that it's not that great anywhere on Cozumel since Wilma wrecked the close in stuff. I'm pretty sure that the new management still provides unlimited free tanks for shore diving.

That's not to say that here's anything wrong with any of the rest of your choices. BTW, Casa Mexicana is very nice, but it's in town and across the street from the water, and it has no beachlike area or pier.

With what you are requesting...you would do ok with Fiesta Americana since you are looking at a hotel with a "beach" it is more of a man made beach...

Casa Mexicana
Suites Bahia
Villa Blanca
Hotel Fontan

in this order FWIW YMMV

Yes Gordon is suggesting the best choice IMO

I don't mean to make things more complicated for you, but Blue Angel Dive Resort (formerly Caribe Blu) has all that stuff, too. The on site op is great and the hotel is small and charming. Breakfast is included and the shore diving isn't bad, considering that it's not that great anywhere on Cozumel since Wilma wrecked the close in stuff. I'm pretty sure that the new management still provides unlimited free tanks for shore diving.

That's not to say that here's anything wrong with any of the rest of your choices. BTW, Casa Mexicana is very nice, but it's in town and across the street from the water, and it has no beachlike area or pier.

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't checked out Blue Angel. Some quick searching leads me to believe (and I may be incorrect) the major travel sites don't have package deals that include airfare for Blue Angel. The prices I listed above included airfare. Right now, airfare alone is running close to $300/person, so unless the hotel for 4 nights comes out to less than $150/person (or less than $75/night) we're not gaining much, if anything.

Doing some quick number crunching, it looks like the Blue Angel Dive shop has a 5 night/3 day dive package for $431. If you add $300 airfare, you're at $731 + $150 (food and incidentals) and you're about the same price as our 4 day trip, but we can't really take an extra day right now. We are trying to travel a Wed-Sun if absolutely possible.

Thanks again.

If using Orbitz, don't forget to try one of the Promotion codes . $75.00 off Vacation packages. It may or may not work, but, worth a try if using Orbitz. Good Luck. :)

DEALOVACA
40DWR75
ENTERTAIN200

Wow, thanks Sue Sue.

I contacted Blue Angel and WOW they're fast to respond via email. 4 night + 3 day dive package $381+taxes/person. Anyone know how much taxes are? If that's the case, doing that package and $300/person for airfare + dinner costs would end up being $50-$100 cheaper than the packages I listed above.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Sales tax is 10% and there is a 2% lodging tax, so you're looking at 12% for the hotel and 10% for the diving as far as taxes go.

Hi! if you're not grabbing a car to rent then fiesta is way too far south or 15usd into town.But there is an ok beach there. Blue Angel would work if you can get if tailored, maybe she will.
If you email Opal at Scubamaucozumel.com she can get a killer deal on Villa Blanca for you. Also she will whip up a great price with your diving. Her and Mau have an amazing crew right there also. The shore dives off the pier there is great, you will have a blast finding stuff. The night shoredives are really cool. Seeing as you are a newer diver and want to save some coin diving off this shore area will be huge for you. Being a little less experienced Opal will make sure you have dives tailored to your skill comfort. It costs 70pesos or 7usd to take a hack into town. The walk is half and hour. Great way for me to walk off the 8lbs of nachos I seem to eat when I go downtown. There are chairs at the pier/sort of beach that you can use. It sounds worse than it is. You will love it. On your SI while diving youll likely hit a beach that will rock you enough anyway. When are you going btw. safe diving, kev

Hi! if you're not grabbing a car to rent then fiesta is way too far south or 15usd into town.But there is an ok beach there. Blue Angel would work if you can get if tailored, maybe she will.
If you email Opal at Scubamaucozumel.com she can get a killer deal on Villa Blanca for you. Also she will whip up a great price with your diving. Her and Mau have an amazing crew right there also. The shore dives off the pier there is great, you will have a blast finding stuff. The night shoredives are really cool. Seeing as you are a newer diver and want to save some coin diving off this shore area will be huge for you. Being a little less experienced Opal will make sure you have dives tailored to your skill comfort. It costs 70pesos or 7usd to take a hack into town. The walk is half and hour. Great way for me to walk off the 8lbs of nachos I seem to eat when I go downtown. There are chairs at the pier/sort of beach that you can use. It sounds worse than it is. You will love it. On your SI while diving youll likely hit a beach that will rock you enough anyway. When are you going btw. safe diving, kev

Fiesta Americana is not a $15 cab ride and is not that far south. You must be confusing it with Wyndam, AUra, SAbor, Occidental Grand, and Iberostar.

Fiesta Americana is $8 (went up from $6) each way to/from town and takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Not walking distance, but not as far as many of the hotels.

Villa Blanca and Fiesta Americana don't compare as far as amenities...it's apples to oranges and for less than $100 difference, it's a no brainer to me! If laying by the pool/beach in the afternoons is what you're wanting to do, than I would definitely go with Fiesta Americana over Villa Blanca, especially with tat package of airfare included...that's a great price! With Fiesta Americana, you can choose the all-inclusive plan (a good plan even if you just use it for breakfast, lunch and beverages...but don't miss dinners in town) or you can choose the European plan which means anything you order in the restaurants is a la carte.

However, The Blue Angel/Caribe Blu is a great combo also...and I think would meet your needs!

Fiesta Americana is not a $15 cab ride and is not that far south. You must be confusing it with Wyndam, AUra, SAbor, Occidental Grand, and Iberostar.

Fiesta Americana is $8 (went up from $6) each way to/from town and takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Not walking distance, but not as far as many of the hotels.

Villa Blanca and Fiesta Americana don't compare as far as amenities...it's apples to oranges and for less than $100 difference, it's a no brainer to me! If laying by the pool/beach in the afternoons is what you're wanting to do, than I would definitely go with Fiesta Americana over Villa Blanca, especially with tat package of airfare included...that's a great price! With Fiesta Americana, you can choose the all-inclusive plan (a good plan even if you just use it for breakfast, lunch and beverages...but don't miss dinners in town) or you can choose the European plan which means anything you order in the restaurants is a la carte.

However, The Blue Angel/Caribe Blu is a great combo also...and I think would meet your needs!
Is there not a Fiesta Americana about 11km south? Past Corona bar.

Back
Top Bottom