Book recommendation: "The Unthinkable" by Amanda Ripley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calwolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've just finished reading this book at the recommendation of our state's emergency response coordinator, and I'm recommending it to everyone I possibly can.

The complete title of the book is "The Unthinkable: Who survives when disaster strikes-- and why". It's an investigation of the way people think and act during emergencies (fires, floods, airplane crashes, etc), and has some great information. Though it's not specific to scuba diving, it does have a few pages (159-162) on scuba diving emergencies and the "panic" response that are enlightening.

Anyway, for anyone that would ever like to be able to save themselves (and others) if they ever get caught in such a crisis scenario, this is a fantastic book. Reading about people's typical (and not so typical) responses to emergencies can help us to become far more prepared for and useful in those extreme cases.

If any of you have also read the book, please post your own comments and impressions.

Here's a link to the book's listing on Amazon, although you can also get it locally or track it down at a library:

Amazon.com: The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes - and Why: Amanda Ripley: Books

Happy reading! =)

Back
Top Bottom