Bonded Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keyshunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Since my prescription has changed, I need to get a new mask. I have a "plus" prescription, which means a corrective lens must be bonded to the factory lens.
I stopped into Key West Optician last week, these folks have made many masks for me over the years, and found that management has changed. Not only has the price almost doubled ( I could possibly live with that) but I was handed a large helping of attitude (that I will not tolerate).
Does anyone know of an optician on the east coast that does a good job on bonded mask lenses?

Not on the east coast... but out in San Diego is www.prescriptiondivemasks.com and they couldn't be nicer on the occasions I've used them. GReat job and quick turn-around. And if you have to send someone your mask anyway, who cares where UPS takes it?

I second San Diego. I live in Japan and they were very nice, quick, and good.

I will 3rd PDM, nice people and great service. I am happy with my mask. I would have the bifocal raised some if I had to do it over but it's where I said to put it so I can't complain. I do suggest that you buy your own mask and ship it to them rather than having them get it, mine was a good bit higher priced had I purchased it from them.

herman:
I will 3rd PDM, nice people and great service. I am happy with my mask. I would have the bifocal raised some if I had to do it over but it's where I said to put it so I can't complain. I do suggest that you buy your own mask and ship it to them rather than having them get it, mine was a good bit higher priced had I purchased it from them.

Ditto...I've worn bifocals since I was six yrs old, and the San Diego folks did my underwater vision a bunch 'good by putting custom lenses in my mask.

The "problem" I had was I was new to bifocals and a new UW digital camera at the same time. I found I would have prefered the bifocals to be placed a little higher thanI had them placed but live and learn. In any case I have been very happy with the service and the mask.

keyshunter:
Since my prescription has changed, I need to get a new mask. I have a "plus" prescription, which means a corrective lens must be bonded to the factory lens.
I stopped into Key West Optician last week, these folks have made many masks for me over the years, and found that management has changed. Not only has the price almost doubled ( I could possibly live with that) but I was handed a large helping of attitude (that I will not tolerate).
Does anyone know of an optician on the east coast that does a good job on bonded mask lenses?

I just went to my optician and asked if they could do the job and quoted them San Diego's price. They said they could do it for that. So a + prescription "requires" a bonded lens? I just posted an inquiry to that subject- please respond! If I need it done again I'll request my optician's price before quoting them someone else's

donclaypool:
I just went to my optician and asked if they could do the job and quoted them San Diego's price. They said they could do it for that.
If your optician hasn't done dive or ski masks before, you should remind him that there is a slight change in diopter caused by the larger than normal eye-to-lens distance.

Charlie Allen,
yet another satisfied customer of www.prescriptiondivemasks.com

Back
Top Bottom