Bonaire vs Little Cayman and snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lalabalakala

Registered
Reaction score
Been twice to Bonaire- amazing snorkeling - have 12 year old non-diver. Question is where else to go - thinking Little Cayman during non-windy season but will we be disappointed after Bonaire? Will Bloody Bay Wall be too far, too deep for snork?

We have had non divers with our group in Little Cayman. They have snorkeled some of the sites while we were diving and been able to wave at us from the surface and we able to wave back. Great vis!

You will most likely need to go out on the boat to snorkel.

The top of the wall (bloody bay) is only 25 or so feet deep so there will be stuff that can be seen.

You can snorkel Bloody Bay Wall from shore on Little Cayman. It is a swim out, but not that far, lots to see along the way. Probably a longer swim thant most places on Bonaire.

Personally, I think the snorkeling at Point of Sand is better than Bloody Bay Wall.

There is not any really convenient shore-based snorkeling directly from any of the resorts on LC. You would need to rent a car or ride bikes to get to most of the better shore entry areas. However, I suspect LCBR or most of the other places would allow snorkelers to ride along on the boat (perhaps might charge a small fee...not sure) and at most sites the mooring pin is either shallow enough or there are shallow areas nearby that would be fine for snorkeling. As was stated, the visibility is generally very good, so even snorkeling in 30-40 foot deep areas, you will still see plenty. There are alot of sites where the mooring pin is in a coral head that is maybe 10-15 feet deep.

Been twice to Bonaire- amazing snorkeling - have 12 year old non-diver. Question is where else to go - thinking Little Cayman during non-windy season but will we be disappointed after Bonaire? Will Bloody Bay Wall be too far, too deep for snork?

Your 12 year old snorkeler would love Grand Cayman in West Bay which was voted by DOE and NOAA as the healthiest reefs of all the Cayman Islands. I have been too Bonaire and feel you would not be disappointed. The snorkeling from Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast shore diving shops are just awesome. For example, at Cobalt Coast dive resorts dock in 3 feet, a resident octopus with abundance of marine life, thousands of sea fans and very healthy Elkhorn and staghorns corals in both directions for miles.

Divetech runs the dive operation for Cobalt Coast dive Resort and has Kids programs from 5 year olds and up. Divetech also runs Kids Sea Camp every summer. You could look them up on facebook to see 100's of kids photo's posted.

You could also check into the Brac. The snorkeling on both sides of the island is first rate. If one side is too windy, drive over to the other side, as both sides have numerous snorkel sites, most with fairly easy entrance/exits. You will see fish as soon as you hit the water in most spots. I have seem many sharks, turtles, rays, lobsters, eels, and barras, plus an astounding amount of reef fish on my snorkel ventures. I usually go out in the afternoon after diving. You will not be disappointed.

I was thinking of doing Cayman Brac late winter or early spring ..... and suggestions on all inclusive or rent a house for the week and do meals on our own? I guess Brac Reef Beach is the only operator so not much of a choice there either?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom