Caribbean locations for 50th birthday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cajuncathlab1656

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at a trip for my 50th birthday. I have been to Roatan, Curacao, Cozumel, Nassau. I really love Cozumel for the overall diving and topside experience.

My question would be where else could I go for a bucket list type trip where I could dive with great vis, lots of sea life, and good topside experience for my non diving wife? Good snorkeling would be a plus. I am thinking grand cayman, bonaire, belize? I am stuck and have no clue where to go. Sorry if this has been discussed but i appreciate any input! I will not be disappointed if we choose Cozumel again.

Thanks!

Pirate's Point at Little Cayman if your wife is happy with relaxing by the pool and beach and doing nature walks.

If you want to go back to Coz, my wife and I had a great trip when we rented a condo at El Cantil and used a dive op that picked us up at their dock.

If only Jamaica's reefs weren't struggling, I'd suggest Negril for a good time topside.

Yeah jamaica is fun, but i dove it once and it was not something I would pay to do again.
I hear you. The diving is overall not great. We just love Sandals and their team.

I hear you. The diving is overall not great. We just love Sandals and their team.
Sandals is great, we went to royal bahamian and dove with stuart cove. What a great trip! Sharks were a blast. Too many good places to pick from is killin me..........lol

I did my 50th in Curacao (my wife surprised me by bringing 12 of my dive buddies) and my 60th in Turks and Caicos. Turks is lovely but not good for land based diving, very long runs to the reef, eats up a whole day, especially a problem if you have non-diving people on the trip.

Bonaire and Curacao are great for diving, but not much for the others, and unlike some islands, not much of a beach scene. St. Croix has great diving, an amazing pier dive, good shore diving, and nice beaches.

So whether it is for your 50th or 100th I will always point to St Croix USVI. The diving here is awesome. You can do shore dives or catch a boat East or West. On the East end I prefer Dive Experience and on the West side I prefer Nep2une, although all of the shops are really good.

I am highly biased, I'll admit, but there is no finer caribbean diving then here in St Croix. USVI. I loved the diving so much I moved here.

American flies via Miami and on the weekend also Charlotte. I travel off the island at least once a month and have had no problems connecting. Delta and Spirit also have a daily flight.

I will always point to St Croix USVI. The diving here is awesome.

there is no finer caribbean diving then here in St Croix. USVI.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but the REEF.org surveys for St Croix are not that impressive.

Total Surveys: 1467​

#Species Reported: 371​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Expert Surveyors: 58.62​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Novice Surveyors: 45.15​

For comparison, here are Bonaire and T&C and the Cayman Islands
Bonaire:

Total Surveys: 30630​

#Species Reported: 562​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Expert Surveyors: 81.00​

Average Species Reported on a Survey by Novice Surveyors: 56.25​

T&C:

Total Surveys: 4784​