Bonaire vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, still watching. One of the slide shows is pretty big and runs a lot better if loaded onto the PC. Enjoy

Great slide show, guy!!! Got it running right now as I'm on the computer and repacking for Sat flight to Bonaire. Thank you VERY much; it really is getting me in the mood for Sat, as if I needed any extra incentive! Watching this slide show right now also has reminded me just what a great group we've had in Bonaire these last few years.

Some of the photos I recognize as ones I took, but you really improved them, as always.

Melissa and Morgan keep asking me when we're going to take you up on NC and sharks!

I pretty much agree with all that has been written.
In fairness I have been to Coz once and so far have not really had a desire to return. My trip report raised the blood pressure of several Coz lovers but here are some of the highlights. Maybe I went with too high expectations but I was not that impressed with the topside. I never found the cheap food others talk about. I was not impressed with any place I ate and I'm not picky. Take that back, there was one small pizza joint on a back street that was great. On a couple of occasions I had rude waiters, something I have never had on Bonaire. In contrast the restaurants on Bonaire range in price widely but the food is excellent in most of them and I have never had rude service, slow yes but never rude. Another big plus for me is the water, which is safe to drink any where directly out of the tap. Fresh fruit and salads are fine to eat anywhere. I got tired of having to do with one or 2 bottles- which I had to pay for- as opposed to have a full pitcher(s) of water on the table which is the norm on Bonaire. I drink a lot when diving to keep hydrated.

Then there were the street vendors trying to get me into their store...one of which watched me eat at an outside table then tried to get me into his restaurant. I am on vacation and don't want to be hassled, you will not find street hawker on Bonaire.

The diving on Coz was great however it does not lend itself well to my preferred diving style, this is not good or bad. I dive slow, looking closely at the reef and taking photos as I go. Hanging with a group in a stiff current is difficult to do when diving this way. My typical dive on Bonaire is 35 ft for 75 to 80 minutes, the typical dive I got on Coz was 50 minutes. I do anywhere from 3 to 6 dives a day, including dawn and night dives on Bonaire for one cost, I got 2 dives per day on Coz and had to pay for more if I wanted them. I was pleased with the dive op, boats, staff and the dives but boat drift diving is just not my preferred style. I go for bottom time and there is no comparison between 2 DM lead group dive of 50 minutes and 4 or 6- 80 minute unfettered dives.

I may go back to Coz someday but I much prefer Bonaire or Roatan, they provide diving more to my liking.

No sense making a long dissertation. This about sums it up for me, too. Main difference might be that I do video and not stills.

There is no way to compare Cozumel with Bonaire I have dove them both. Bonaire is unlimited shore diving on a reef that has been protected since 1973. You can go any where in town with no problems no one trying to sell you any thing or dark streets. I just can not say enought about Bonaire I go there every year for (45) days I just got back you will love it it has been rated the number one place to dive. Warren Stincer

I have over 500 dives in Cozumel and 54 in Bonaire . I am booked to go for my third trip to Bonaire in 30 days . Bonaire has a few more positive points none of the least being the Shore Diving. A pickup instead of a cattle boat . I will take the shore diving any day and there are some sites that almost match up to the best of Cozumel . All in all most of the dives on bon are as good as coz .
I like Bonaires dining better . I get sick of mexican food after two or three days . Bon is more european. You can drink tap water in bonaire and it tastes real good . I can get sick taking a shower from the water in coz .
There is one sore point between the two , my overall trip costs twice as much as coz , I get past this by doing 4-5 dives a day in bonaire . When I divide my trip into cost per dive bon usually will come out ahead . Like others , I will put my vote for Bonaire ten out of ten times. enjoy

Bonaire: Few other divers at sites, dive own schedule, clean & some terrain relief.
Cozumel: Drift diving, some pelagics and great cheap food....plus cheaper airfare.

Ugh, I feel like I have to add some perspective to this Cozumel bash fest.
My trip report raised the blood pressure of several Coz lovers but here are some of the highlights.

Oops, and I was probably one of them. I think it's wise too keep your expectations low when visiting someplace new. It's what I'm trying to do with this being my first to someplace besides Cozumel. I fully expect to get robbed when I visit Bonaire and it's truly one aspect I'm not looking forward to. I'm also expecting to pay a significantly higher amount for groceries and gasoline.

True, the water is an issue Cozumel and being nickeled and dimed for it sucks however it's included where we stay in Cozumel. And I'll agree about the vendors but you've got to consider the day and night economic difference between the two islands. I find the drive, persistence and motivation of the vendors to be admirable and something a lot of entitled kids in the States these days could learn a lesson from.

I did like Mexico, Cancun and Cozumel and dived there a couple of times, but the slipshod attitude of a lot of the local operators really got to me. I guess the last straw for me was watching the mate "mechanic" on a boat out of Cozumel beating on the motor with a wrench trying to get the motor to restart for the third time that day, so we could try again to get back into port, and overhearing the crew talking about this happening several times before. Careless DM's, poor maintenance and half-assed attitudes got to me. Not to mention an instructor nearly losing my gf on her first ow dive when he "adjusted " her buoyancy!
I guess I'm spoiled by Bonaire where I control my diving and can dive till I drop and am not dependent on boat crews and DM's.

You're always going to find some bad apples when it comes to operators everywhere you go. Due diligence is required for finding the one that will meet your expectations and having a backup plan when things go awry. I suppose I've been lucky with the 5 different operators I've used in Cozumel while always having fun and competent DM's, well maintained boats and easy to deal with staff. Since Cozumel is primarily boat diving, the operators do expose themselves to more risk and unmet expectations inherit of providing more service than just handing out tanks.

A pickup instead of a cattle boat.

Not all boats in Cozumel are cattle boats. Once, I was hard-up for a last minute night dive an decided to go out with the on site op knowing it would be a cattle boat dive. It was no doubt, a bad experience, just as I was expecting. However, it's easily avoidable as many reputable ops either have the option or exclusively use small six pack boats.

I will definitely go back to Coz even though it appears I bashed the place . It is apples and oranges . The night life in Coz is Vegas compared to Bon . I was certified in cozumel decades ago , has a warm spot in my heart . 29 days before I land in bonaire...but who's counting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom