Bonaire Truck Rental & Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take photos with your cell phone camera if you have one. You then have a set of images to use as reference. I have used this approach (not in Bonaire though) before and it saved me some hassle when the vehicle was inspected upon return.

Never thought of this. Good idea. Even better, I do underwater video. How about a walk around with the camcorder?

Much as I hate to say it, the last time I went to Bonaire was in March. We stayed at Buddy's (first time) and they have their own fleet. Most are relatively new. I think our truck had only 4000 miles on it. Air conditioned too, althtough I like the windows down. I don't go to a tropical island to keep the windows up.

Great advice and discussion everyone. I think our plan will be to inspect the heck out of the truck when picking it up, buying their CDW coverage (and sucking up the cost), and inspecting the heck out of the truck when we return it.

Whatever you do, avoid renting a truck with Budget.

We stayed a Golden Reef Inn last week and the package came with a Budget rental truck. Budget gave us a truck with old, rotten, bald tires. Of course one of the tires had a flat ( which I had to change,) and then Budget even made us pay for the repair of this trash tire.

Golden Reef was a great place to stay, but don't do Budget rental. If they would send out trucks with tires like that, you can imagine what other junk they push on their customers.

John Chaplain

John,

We are currently exploring other vehicle rental options as well as working with Budget to provide better vehicles and customer service. Believe it or not, ALL car rental companies do not take responsibilities for "flats" on the island, regardless of the conditions of the tires. We are working trying to work with ALL carrental companies to work on this. You are right, if you get a "bad" tire and it gets a flat you should not be held responsible. This is something we are working on.

Liz

Never thought of this. Good idea. Even better, I do underwater video. How about a walk around with the camcorder?

Much as I hate to say it, the last time I went to Bonaire was in March. We stayed at Buddy's (first time) and they have their own fleet. Most are relatively new. I think our truck had only 4000 miles on it. Air conditioned too, althtough I like the windows down. I don't go to a tropical island to keep the windows up.

We always made a big show of doing a walk around video, outside, inside and even video the spare tire to make sure it's there. We stay at Buddy's now, but we still make a video... It's hard to argue with a video recording. :palmtree: Bob

I checked on the AmEx insurance and it looks like a great way to go. It is not included with the card. You have to sign up for a special program, but there is no charge to sign up. Then each time you rent a car/truck with your AmEx card they add a $19.95 fee. This covers insurance of up to 45 days and up to $30,000 value. It covers international rentals in most countries, including Bonaire. If you have a claim, they deal directly with the rental company. They pay immediately and then make an adjustment later, if there are any problems. (They can take money out of the rental company's bank account. Wow, what power.) In any event, they take care of the hassles so you don't have to.

We signed up for the program and then called them to add the insurance to our dive package. (We booked through Bay Adventurers with a package that includes a car.) I have confirmed that it was $19.95 for our entire 14 day trip. That sounds like a great solution. Once we get back from our trip, I will cancel the special program so I don't forget and end up paying $20 for my next rental by mistake.

Last year when we rented from Budget we had a beat up but very serviceable truck. This year it appears they have replaced a substantial amount of the fleet.
At the point where we were completing the rental agreement the agent argued vigorously against using American Express rather than the offered insurance. Despite the sales pitch I still declined the insurance. When we returned the truck 2 weeks later the agent, Jeannie, found a dent about the size of a quarter in the lower part of one of the doors. I honestly believe this dent was there when I picked up the truck but went unnoticed because of the size and the fact that the paint wasn't even scratched. Regardless of where the actual fault lay I have a complaint regarding the consequences. For what I think most agencies would consider normal wear I was charged $120.00. I consider the amount completely out of line with the severity of the damage. When I attempted to dispute the amount Jeannie elected to deal with me a preemptory and quite frankly rude manner. I have Budget countless times in the States both for business and pleasure and will continue to do so. I will not however use this branch ever again.

Inside the US, I'll let my insurance company, credit card and if necessary, attorney deal with any claims.

Outside the US, I'll buy all the insurance they have, and just consider it part of the price of renting.

In fact at Buddy Dive, they tried to sell me the "medium" policy, and I said I want the one that covers 100% of the truck even if space-aliens transport it to another planet. When I'm on vacation I don't want to have to even think about liability and damage.

Terry

Last year when we rented from Budget we had a beat up but very serviceable truck. This year it appears they have replaced a substantial amount of the fleet.
At the point where we were completing the rental agreement the agent argued vigorously against using American Express rather than the offered insurance. Despite the sales pitch I still declined the insurance. When we returned the truck 2 weeks later the agent, Jeannie, found a dent about the size of a quarter in the lower part of one of the doors. I honestly believe this dent was there when I picked up the truck but went unnoticed because of the size and the fact that the paint wasn't even scratched. Regardless of where the actual fault lay I have a complaint regarding the consequences. For what I think most agencies would consider normal wear I was charged $120.00. I consider the amount completely out of line with the severity of the damage. When I attempted to dispute the amount Jeannie elected to deal with me a preemptory and quite frankly rude manner. I have Budget countless times in the States both for business and pleasure and will continue to do so. I will not however use this branch ever again.

Don't know about the other rental outfits in Bonaire, but we're renting with AB Rentals and if you decline their insurance they place a $1500 charge on your card until you return the truck...

The less than one-hundred dollar charge for the insurance is like golf balls and shotgun shells once you get there. I sat on my balcony at Lions Dive one afternoon and watched three separate people back into a large rock, each one leaving a small pile of red and yellow plastic shards. I backed into a pole at Rose Inn one afternoon and clipped a mirror. I went straight to the Mitsubishi dealer and he replaced it for a lot less than the rental company would charge. Then one morning I was headed for Oil slick and in the ninety degree curve just north of Liz's place I ran into this unfortunate visitor to the island.

2326828Bon-TruckDitch003a.jpg

I wonder how much that one cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom