Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report- Entire month of August- 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for a great report! I'll need to get the intel on the secret site for my next trip. I'm extremely jealous of your month, especially since I had a trip planned for 2 weeks in November which it has been postponed for work. In December on all of my days away, it's less than half the price for airfare to Indonesia or the Philippines. I'm very torn between the freedom of Bonaire and the critters of the indo pacific.
I noticed the red algae last winter at 1000 steps; hope it hasn't gotten worse since I've been. While I cant say that I've had a bad dive on Bonaire, that site was probably my least favorite. Did you get up to Nokove or any sites between there and Karpata?
Yes, the red algae growth was disturbing and it was much more noticeable at some sites versus others. 1,000 Steps was quite noticeable. I did go up to Nukove twice. It is really one of my favorite dive sites. Just spectacular, particularly going south. Saw a pretty spotted eagle ray there on the first dive. Entry and exit is a bit of a pain though. I think I'd go to the Philippines in December :wink: -- I will PM you the dive site info.

I’m going for a week leaving on the 21st and staying at Delphins! Is there anything more you can add about the resort such as if they daily clean the rooms. Or what to avoid at the bar/grill. How rough or easy is the dive entry point at the house reef? Which are the best rooms?

I’m going for a week leaving on the 21st and staying at Delphins! Is there anything more you can add about the resort such as if they daily clean the rooms. Or what to avoid at the bar/grill. How rough or easy is the dive entry point at the house reef? Which are the best rooms?
I have actually not stayed there as a guest. I have eaten there and been diving there, so I can comment on those aspects.
The primary restaurant for dinner is extremely expensive and the food is more of a selection of small plates/tapas with some minimum numbers of plates required. Food is really great and creative, but again, very pricey for the quantity. They have one of the better wine lists on the island.
The outdoor bar/restaurant is a good alternative. Completely different menu and more reasonably priced. The pool and common areas are awesome. Super clean and expansive. Entry and exit from the water are pretty straightforward and obvious. There are some holes and dips and rocks that are made more challenging by the fact that there is a lot of sand that gets stirred up with the incoming waves and makes visibility difficult. Important to go slowly and take small steps and feel your way out. The reef drop off is a bit a ways out. You are quite near the point at Punt Vierkant and there can be current to take into consideration. The whole area is developing and growing down there.

• An unmarked dive site that I am naming after myself and you will have to message me to get the location—also my new favorite dive site on Bonaire. 

I'd be interested in this dive site as well. I'll be on the island for about 3 weeks in Oct. and I'm always looking for something new and fun.

Wow! That didn’t take long! Looks like the @Trailboss123 dive site is no longer a secret...

D13095AA-905F-47E0-9C22-F775B1EF1B25.jpeg

I have actually not stayed there as a guest. I have eaten there and been diving there, so I can comment on those aspects.
The primary restaurant for dinner is extremely expensive and the food is more of a selection of small plates/tapas with some minimum numbers of plates required. Food is really great and creative, but again, very pricey for the quantity. They have one of the better wine lists on the island.
The outdoor bar/restaurant is a good alternative. Completely different menu and more reasonably priced. The pool and common areas are awesome. Super clean and expansive. Entry and exit from the water are pretty straightforward and obvious. There are some holes and dips and rocks that are made more challenging by the fact that there is a lot of sand that gets stirred up with the incoming waves and makes visibility difficult. Important to go slowly and take small steps and feel your way out. The reef drop off is a bit a ways out. You are quite near the point at Punt Vierkant and there can be current to take into consideration. The whole area is developing and growing down there.
Thank You! I’ll do the honors of reporting on the rooms and service. There are five of us with four rooms, so we’ll have a good sample!

Pm me on the 411 of your dive site. Its that trail boss rock for real? Then I’ll look for it!

We stayed at Delfins about a year and a half ago. The pool and bar were amazing. I agree with @Trailboss123 about the restaurant. It is very pricey. The lunch menu and bar are a much better value. Housekeeping was unpredictable. There were some days when we were out diving and room would be clean upon return. Other times they were quite late-I am talking about 4 pm. At that point I just want some towels. Maid service is not a big deal for me. Rooms are very comfortable with premium bedding and bathrooms. My main gripe which may sound petty is the louvered windows. We had a screen, but in lieu of a glass pane, we had wooden shutters. It did nothing to block out birds chirping or people walking by. It is probably not an issue for most people, but I am a light sleeper.
The house dive was not my favorite. Granted we had some windy weather coupled with choppy seas. The entrance was challenging to say the least. Visibility was not in the league of other sites on the island. Dive Friends has a wonderful tank loading station and storage area. Salt Pier and Aquarius were a five minute drive away.
I would love to stay at Delfins again. It was an easy drive into town and the southern dive sites. I would try to get a room which has an actual window pane in the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom