Trip Report Bonaire Trip Report- Entire month of August- 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey TB123, a big Canuck thank you for your in-depth report. I actually read your whole story. Wow a month in Bonaire. I can only dream. In 2020, we are planning on staying down for 2 weeks in Bonaire as 1 week is just not enough. Baby steps as my wife is a non-diver.

My new only regret is that I didn't have the opportunity to dive in Bonaire in the 1970s. I hear it was mystical from Bruce at the Carib Inn. Damn timing is everything. Ps - I should have bought Apple stock back then too. :)

A whole month in Bonaire. I think you're my new hero...:yeahbaby:

Been dying to get back there. In recent years I've wandered to diverse places and seen things I likely never would've in Bonaire, and I'm glad I roamed. Now I want to go to (scuba) 'home.'

Good to see a report on the Marriott, too. I imagine the brand familiarity will appeal to some first-comers to the island, especially early in their dive hobby and perhaps bringing non-divers along. Ironically, they might be better served by an oceanfront option with at least a little beach - like Sand Dollar Condo.s or Den Lamen. I take it the Marriott is waterfront due to the canal system by it?

Did you see any compelling reason most people (without points to use and save money) would want to pick the Marriott over other housing options on Bonaire? After all, when people have choices, sometimes being 'good' isn't enough...you have to be better.

Richard.

P.S.: If I had a month in Bonaire I'm afraid I'd blow an ear drum before it was over with...

A whole month in Bonaire. I think you're my new hero...:yeahbaby:

Been dying to get back there. In recent years I've wandered to diverse places and seen things I likely never would've in Bonaire, and I'm glad I roamed. Now I want to go to (scuba) 'home.'

Good to see a report on the Marriott, too. I imagine the brand familiarity will appeal to some first-comers to the island, especially early in their dive hobby and perhaps bringing non-divers along. Ironically, they might be better served by an oceanfront option with at least a little beach - like Sand Dollar Condo.s or Den Lamen. I take it the Marriott is waterfront due to the canal system by it?

Did you see any compelling reason most people (without points to use and save money) would want to pick the Marriott over other housing options on Bonaire? After all, when people have choices, sometimes being 'good' isn't enough...you have to be better.

Richard.

P.S.: If I had a month in Bonaire I'm afraid I'd blow an ear drum before it was over with...
Waterfront for Marriott is canal only and there is no beach or anything and it is a good distance from the open ocean. You aren't going in the water there unless it is the pool or jacuzzi. The infinity pool lines up visually with the canal/marina, thus making it infinity. I don't see any compelling reason to stay there for the masses who are going to Bonaire for a week long dive vacation- it worked for me on this trip for very specific reasons and unique circumstances. I did meet a few other single male travelers there for a week of vacation and diving. It worked as a nice base for them both and they were both business oriented guys who were happy to use or accrue points for their stay there.

I keep my ears safe and sound by being very diligent daily. I use a drop of Ear Shield in each ear in the morning prior to diving. Once diving is done for the day and after my shower, I cleanse each ear with a personally made mixture of 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 vinegar and 1/3 peroxide. I put drops in each ear and let it soak in each ear for a couple of minutes. Works for me.

I keep my ears safe and sound by being very diligent daily. .

yep.

Blisters on feet or ear woes can wreck a dive trip.

Great report. We were there 27jul-10aug. Had a great time, but that green algae... made me feel like I needed a shower after diving salt pier - and I doubled up on the ear treatment afterward too.

yep.

Blisters on feet or ear woes can wreck a dive trip.

Great report. We were there 27jul-10aug. Had a great time, but that green algae... made me feel like I needed a shower after diving salt pier - and I doubled up on the ear treatment afterward too.
Only upside to the green algae at Salt Pier was that I got to sit for 15 minutes in 10 feet of water watching 9 turtles munching on it when coming back in from one of my dives there.

bad photographer...
GOPR2292.JPG

Super report. I had a great baitball encounter at the lake in the last week of aug..really nice diving. Agree with the salt pier algae..

Great report. Heading back for 2 weeks in February. Can you PM me the "secret" TrailBoss dive site location?

Thanks!

Gerry

@Trailboss123 , I’m kind of on forced scuba break right now :( but once I can find time to travel again, I’ll print out your great trip report and just go with it as my itinerary. Why figure everything out when you’ve already got it all figured out! It’s that great! Thanks a whole bunch!

Back
Top Bottom