Bonaire Shore Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LesThePrez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Buddy's on Bonaire in August :D . Plan to shore dive the reefs at Sand Dollar & Capt. Don's. Suggestions on the appropriate behavior in order to get the blessings of the operators &/or resort owners on these properties before diving off their "land" will be appreciated. We did Curacao last year & are returning to Bonaire after a 15 year detour. We were new divers in '92 & arrived a day after a diver was "lost." :(. Needless to say it was an interesting experience. Les The Prez.

Check in with the diveshop at both locations so they know when to start looking for you...j/k

By Sand Dollar - you mean Bari Reef right?

Capt's Don's will want $5pp. also.

btw, Buddys took over the diveop at BelMar a couple years ago. So if you're diving in the south, I think you can change tanks there. Park by the gate closest to the road on the south edge of the property, that's where they're stored.

I'd be curious to read your observations after a fifteen year hiatus when you return.

I think Captain Don"s is the only one that charges. There are so many wonderful shore dives . It would take several trips to get them all in!

It is considered polite to check in with the dive shop at any resort where you are planning to use their pier if you are not a guest. Habitat (Capt Don's) does charge a fee and Sand Dollar (Bonaire Dive and Adventure) asks that you sign a waiver. Check out www.bsdme.info for the most current info on this.

Steve. We'll let you know. We hear that property crime is up since way back when, but we're very "street-wise" New Yorkers who live in a relatively rough neighborhood, & we've been to many different islands & haven't (yet) been victims. We're always cautious & on the ball when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Pretty much it's just bored kids who like to go through the stuff in your truck while you're offshore diving. I felt safer walking in downtown Bonaire at night than I do here - and I live in a safe neighborhood 1/2 mile from a police station.

There is free access (no charge) at Captain Don's if you enter from the villas just north of the dive shop.

if you want to dive Capt Dons just enter at Buddy and go to the right..not too far ,easy swim over...return to Buddy in the shallows(25'-30')we return there in April..

sjspeck:
btw, Buddys took over the diveop at BelMar a couple years ago. So if you're diving in the south, I think you can change tanks there. Park by the gate closest to the road on the south edge of the property, that's where they're stored.

Both times we have stayed at Belmar, when we asked if we could take tanks at the drive through at Buddy's, this is what we were told. Buddy's "prefers" - aka told us we had to take tanks from the place we were staying (either Buddy's or Belmar). So if you stay at Belmar, they "prefer" you take tanks from there, and not Buddy resort, and vice versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom