Bonaire - security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
I can cope with having an old T shirt stolen from a truck but incidents such as this http://www.bonairetalk.com/newgroup/messages/3/185477.html?1098654857 (warning-graphic photo of an assault victim) make me wonder if I want to go there or not. The police do not seem to be doing a good job. I know that there are any number of places in the US that are much worse but that is not the point,I would be going to dive and relax,not spend all my time watching my back.

The above referenced image is obviously (as it states) of a victim that was a Bonair native, living there. In police jargon, "Friends kill friends" .

To assume for a moment that a tourist is under the same or increased threat of violence as a local on Bonaire is simply ludicrous. Posting the above website is either inflamatory or demonstrative of the lacking of the understanding where personal assaults are most likely to occur.... most victims know their attacker quite well.

Bonaire is simply not one of those places I would have any fear for my personal safety over and above here in a suburb of Chicago. I would however, nail down $1 sunglasses to the sundeck. Petty property crime which is rife does not translate into personal assault.

Get a grip, folks.

Go to Bonaire, dive, have fun... relax and enjoy.

Doc.

I don't know what you're all complaining about. I've always found the people of Bonaire to be warm and friendly. And I've never had an experience with theft. Quite the contrary. The last time I was on the island this nice man offered me a new Oceanic computer and a dive light for only $35US. :11:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Haven't even been there but have been to Curacao. Working my way backwards through the ABC's and hoping to never finish! :wink:

from a week in Bonaire last Saturday, and I'm counting the days until I can return. We were with a group of 16 people, and nobody experienced anything but warmth and friendliness from the people of Bonaire. It was a wonderful trip!

Do not worry about leaving a non-diving lady friend topside- when I referred to the lads hanging around, I did not mean that they were thugs or anything similar. They were just other people like me hanging out on the beach- it was all this negative talk about the crime situation that made me assume they would be up to no good. They were actually just there enjoying the sunset and offering dive advice. Although crime does happen on Bonaire, it really is mostly theft- not the hassle and unpleasantness you can get on some other carribean islands. I personally felt extremely safe on Bonaire, and wandered around alone a few times.

Overall, don;t pray on these stories, go to Bonaire- you will have a blast diving and your non-diving friend will love the beautiful uncrowded beaches with fantastic scenery.

enjoy- I will be there in spirit

The problem is not the thieves it's the cops. The problem is institutionalized in the three islands. With that in mind, go and have fun....if one can't handle it, don't go.

Regards,

funkyspelunker:
I was more worried about just not having as good of a time there because we'd have to constantly be looking after all our things, I do that anyways but the posts on this board about bonaire make it sound like a gaggle of theives are following you 10 paces behind at all times.

Hi,
I've been breefed there to be organized and bring only what I need to dive.
You don't spend any time out of the water on the dive sites except to get rid of nitrogen for the next dive so...
If you don't dive with it you don't need it.
Ciao

The only problem we encountered was that one of our group lost his wallet. Nobody reported anything missing from their car or even that it had been searched.

Our rental agency did advise us to not lock the cars and leave the windows open.

Spend 24 days there 2 years ago over xmas. Met lots of people.

Gas was stolen from all the cars at our little resort nightly and even when parked right out in the open under a light. We resorted to leaving the tank empty as possible and they would still drain the tank dry. Some people even ran out heading for the station 1st thing in the morning. Quite a drag when the plan was to go diving then fill up. We were told not to use a locking gas cap cause they would just cut the fuel line.

Our truck was never bothered at dive sites cause we never left anything in it.
Those we met who did were hit every time.

Never once did we see a cop even drive through a dive site.

The restuarants lose a pile of $ because of the dive sight thieves. We would liked to carry a water jug and cheap change of clothes to the dive sights. After the last dive (with the visa in the BC pocket) we could have rinced off and changed (nobody seems to care) then headed out for drinks and a good meal. Instead back to the hotel to shower then a beer or 2. By that time it is dark and we are tired and a tuna sandwich made in our room sounded good. Some would do take out for 1/2 the cost. The restuarants lose a pile of $.

After a few weeks I caught on to the thieves system. I saw them in action at Kaparta a few times. Then I started seeing the pattern at most other sights. It was always a young couple or young male with a kid. Always on a moped. They would just hang out sitting on the bike real casual, as if just passing the time of day. At Karpata we would lie on a picnic bence in the bushes resting between dives. As soon as the parking lot emptied of most people one would spring into action running from truck to truck. The other was the watch. I would sit up and when they saw me they just drive away and on to the next site.

What a joke that bonaire plans to ticket tourists for carrying more that to 1 tank per person:
1)pollution caused by the 100's of out of tune trucks with no polution controls on them driving around and around and around the island.
2)the quality vacation time wasted. The driving is not fun in a 3rd world country.
3)the risk of hitting a donkey is real. In 24 days we had and saw a few near misses. After the best diving day we saw the saddest sight driving back. A young donkey was hit and laying in the centre of the road pitifully trying to stand while it's mother stood by waiting. Drive slow.
4)the thieves will benifit cause there will be nobody doing surface time on shore. Instead they will be driving around the island.
5)the cops who do not police the dive sites for thieves will now be out ticketing the tourists for too many tanks. What a joke.
6)the claim is tanks were getting stolen at the dive sited. Well duh it is only cause there is a dive shop willing to buy the used tank. Why do they not agree to stop buying each others tanks???

Returning the rental truck when departing I got my final kick. The spare tire was stolen. I paid $150.00 US. No choice. I asked the rental lady if a kid on a moped showed up would they buy a tire for $ 50.00. She smiled and said of course, wouldn't you?
Next time I would refuse the spare cause the jack was likley missing or stolen anyway. Explaining the story to my wife some folks overheard us. 2 other groups got the same parting gift as I did.

Bonaire has great diving. A very relaxing place. And I will one go back.

Personally speaking, NO dive destination has diving fantasic enough for me spend thousands of dollars, not to mention my precious holiday time, in a place who obviously has so little regard for thievary aimed against the dive community visiting the island. I have no intention of EVER going to Bonaire, if my entire vacation I must watch my personal belongings like a hawk. Taking normal precautions are one thing....Having to do so at the expense of my peace of mind...thats another. I will gladly take my holidays somewhere else. Bonaire should take a lesson from Jamacia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom