Bonaire report: July 7-21, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
30-40 feet or so visibility, but teeming with marine life. Not the radiant colors and vistas I had hoped for, but a bad day's diving in Bonaire is better than just about anything else!

Most of divers I'm with complain of cold (???) I am using dive skin with not a hint of chill...whatever!

Captain Don's Habitat: Breakfast bar not as good as 2003 (my last visit)...heavier on the fried meat, less selection of fruit....ie no watermelon, anemic canteloupe. I have skipped most breakfasts opting to purchase better food at Cultimara and using my hot plate (I brought). This luxury type room has no kitchenette, the AC is quiet and good, but is on some kind of timer...awake in middle of night in a sweat, find remote to turn AC back on.

The WIFI is free this month and compares with DSL....it's free because management has had a time making it consistently available.

Thursday, July 12 there was a morning thunderstorm with significant rain!!

Caution: 2 thefts of $$$ have occurred with just my group. Police suspect an insider job. One theft was for over $700.00. These thefts have both occurred at Captain Don's Habitat.

I will be staying at the Black Durgon next week.

Thanks for the report. I will be heading down there the end of next week.

jdarnall2001:
Thanks for the report. I will be heading down there the end of next week.

It is heavenly!

The mermaids are waiting to welcome you!

:wink:

jdarnall2001:
I will be heading down there the end of next week.
My wife and I are leaving for Divi Bonaire in 12 hours. Maybe we'll meet in passing! Have a great trip.:14:

Personally i'd avoid Don's Habitat - we went over there to have dinner - and within 2 minutes we saw three palmetto bugs, including one that ran over our table. We obviously got up and left at that point. It worried us mostly because we hadn't seen them anywhere else. After the 8 days, we had still only seen three. They clearly have a problem!!!
We stayed at the Caribbean Club Bonaire which was fantastic - the breakfast was great, accomodation was lovely and everyone was very friendly.

I know the couple that own Run Runners and believe me they have very high standards. Floris has been the leader of the Bonaire culinary team for the last few years and he is an exceptional chef. Dining outside you may get the odd visitor, we have never had any hygene issues at Capn Don's or Rum Runners in 13 trips.

tonka97:
30-40 feet or so visibility, but teeming with marine life. Not the radiant colors and vistas I had hoped for, but a bad day's diving in Bonaire is better than just about anything else!

Most of divers I'm with complain of cold (???) I am using dive skin with not a hint of chill...whatever!

Captain Don's Habitat: Breakfast bar not as good as 2003 (my last visit)...heavier on the fried meat, less selection of fruit....ie no watermelon, anemic canteloupe. I have skipped most breakfasts opting to purchase better food at Cultimara and using my hot plate (I brought). This luxury type room has no kitchenette, the AC is quiet and good, but is on some kind of timer...awake in middle of night in a sweat, find remote to turn AC back on.

The WIFI is free this month and compares with DSL....it's free because management has had a time making it consistently available.

Thursday, July 12 there was a morning thunderstorm with significant rain!!

Caution: 2 thefts of $$$ have occurred with just my group. Police suspect an insider job. One theft was for over $700.00. These thefts have both occurred at Captain Don's Habitat.

I will be staying at the Black Durgon next week.

Hey Tonka,

You must be with the Scuba WV group who just went. Heard all about it from Denise and Ron.

You need to get together with us soon and go to the quarry or head to NC for a fall coastal trip. Good to see anothe WV diver on here!

hey tonka 97 who are you and were you there with the scuba wv group?? we were there just wondering who u are

Vis doesnt sound sound as good as when I was there....were there storms?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom