Trip Report Belize Aggressor III Trip Report – April 21-28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone (especially OP!) for the great information!

I finished my OW classes and pool sessions, with the plans of going to Cayman to do certifying dives.

My instructor called last week and said they had a cancellation on their group trip aboard the Belize Aggressor next month, and invited me along. He said I could do the OW Cert dives with him and then he would be my dive buddy for the rest of the week. We have a great rapport, I feel really comfortable with him and I think this would be an incredible opportunity to get in some great dives and also be with instructor to help learn technique.

Thoughts or opinions?

I finished my OW classes and pool sessions, with the plans of going to Cayman to do certifying dives.

My instructor called last week and said they had a cancellation on their group trip aboard the Belize Aggressor next month, and invited me along. He said I could do the OW Cert dives with him and then he would be my dive buddy for the rest of the week. We have a great rapport, I feel really comfortable with him and I think this would be an incredible opportunity to get in some great dives and also be with instructor to help learn technique.

Thoughts or opinions?
Go for it- That's a very generous offer by your instructor to take time out of a vacation and do your cert dives. Caymans will be there waiting for you in the future.

Thoughts or opinions?

You will get to do a lot of diving on a liveaboard and you will be getting personalized attention from your instructor and you already have a good relationship. I also say go for it!

Seeing if I can get out of work for those days.

@Trailboss123
Was there internet/cell service on the boat?

No internet on the boat. Cell service was hit and miss while out diving-- Mostly miss until back closer to the mainland. Basically, I wouldn't count on it.

I agree, don't count on it. When we were on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor I was worried about a very ill family member that had been hospitalized shortly before we left for the trip. Aggressor told me to give their office number to a designated family member. They said that they would accept updates and forward them to the Captain whenever possible - and vice versa. They that did but the messages were brief and sporadic. I don't think that they would be willing/able to forward work-related communications.

On the return trip, when we got near to Provo, I was able to use my cell phone for calls.

Hmmmmm... Would be a blessing and a curse hahaha.
Unfortunately, work for me (sales to gov't, utility companies and big automotive) is darn near 24/7. Would be really nice to totally unplug, but if it weren't for the job, I wouldn't be able to go on the trip..... Does that make sense?

Definitely not a deal breaker, but I would have to do some major planning in the next few weeks

I almost hate to mention this, but consider a renting a satellite phone if you really have to communicate with the outside world.

Here's an example (not affiliated with Mobal in any way): Satellite Phone Rental | Iridium Phones from Mobal

Have a great trip!

We have a great rapport, I feel really comfortable with him and I think this would be an incredible opportunity to get in some great dives and also be with instructor to help learn technique.

Sounds great and I, too, think you should jump on it. Get a satellite phone if you need to (can you rent those?).

Richard.

That's funny, I was looking at Garmin SAT phones last night. Costco has the Reach on sale for just over $200 +$20 activation, $25 yearly fee and the monthly subscription for unlimited would be around $65.

I would like to own one anyway, and I could probably expense the activation and data charges.

Stopping in the shop today to iron out details!!!!!!!

Also- sorry @Trailboss123 for Hijacking this thread!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom