Bonaire report: July 7-21, 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops, I missed the follow-up postings to my OP...sorry!

I'm back in WV and am high as a kite with wonderful memories of my 2 weeks in Bonaire.

The second week I had the pleasure of staying at the Black Durgon...thank you Al, Rick, Doris, and Rona! The Black Durgon does not have the 'resort' ambiance but you get something very special and intimate.

Currents were a factor in about half of my 35 or so dives; at Witch's Hut, we planned to go South against the current then return in the shallower 35-40 feet return to the North. OK....we aimed South, and kicked, then kicked harder, then a little harder...we were still at the same coral head! We experimented with our finning and depths until we made slow headway; even at 75-80 feet the current was pretty strong! The return trip saw us gazing at the reef (35 feet or so) at a perpendicular as we drift dived...whoa! All in all, a world class albeit challenging dive that was enjoyed by all!

Visibility throughout my 2 weeks was in the 40-50 or so foot range....much less than 2003 trip...60-100+ ft.

I did not see ANY bug problem at the Rum Runners or in my Oasis room at Captain Don's. The bug sighting in this thread was not a typical experience...seems like the lizards and iguana were slow on the uptake!

Diving at Captain Don's was blissful...thank you Roger, and the other dive masters and staff...simply wonderful and respectful service! The boat dives were a blast. On a return leg of a dive, Roger spotted and maneuvered the boat so that we enjoyed about 100 or so spinner dolphin babies playing, and leaping around our boat. Words fail.

Best dive of the 2 weeks? Just about ANY of them. But if I was pressed....yep...Karpata. Conditions for shore entry/exit were very good for the 3 dives with my friends. Pick a dive time before noon for easiest dive.

The Bonaire reefs are in excellent condition, but be prepared for lower visibility than you may expect from past visits.

Bonaire....truly God's country!

Rich, et al...

The lower vis is due to increased plankton in the waters. According to the locals this happens about one every 7 years or so (I guess our version of locust!) Anyway, the plankton brought tunicates (specifically salps) in April/May, loads of small reef crabs in June and now we are just waiting on the Whale Sharks! (If I recall, the last time this happened, they started showing up late July through August. Let's keep our fingers crossed. This too shall pass....

Liz

highland farm have you ever dove summersville lake? we were there yestersday, and dove and its a really pretty place lots of rock formations, small cliffs, etc, viz was 20 ft or so, pretty good for around here,just wondering???

It had rained several days but quick showers, and kinda overcast, last year when i was there the colors were alot more vivid and the viz was good this yr wasnt near as good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom