Bonaire question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been reading up on my trip to Bonaire and found that 99% of all dive sites are on the west side of the island...what is the east like? How is the water there? Why no diving there?

...never mind! I just had a blonde moment! There is diving but only from boats, it's the windward side making shore entries difficult....and the mad I was looking at was the "shore" dive map

My wife and I were there a few weeks ago. On our last day there we drove
around the island. The other side is pretty rough. Lots of wind and very high
surf. Unlike the side where we dove which was calm and not much wind.
These conditions were on on the very same day.
I don't think diving would be fun on the rough side and the
only diving we saw was by "Larry's Wild side diving".
The wind surfers seemed to enjoy it though.

--- bill

I talked with a guy at one of our Local LDS's and he worked down there as an instructor for 3 years. He said that some of the best diving is actually on the wild side but its hard to get people to take you there to dive for a reasonable price. It is rough and its not easy for most of the boats to get there so access is limited and the current can be tough in some areas.

A few pictures may help. :)

The first 3 are typical leaward side dive sites, Angle City, Old Blue and Witches Hut. The next 3 are typical windward side locations. I think you can see why most people don't try shore diving on the windward side.

There is some very nice shore diving on the wild side. A couple of guides will take you there. A couple of the sites are very weather dependent.

Can you stay on the wild side (Lac Bay) and still dive the west side? How far is from Lac Bay to the west coast? I am planning a trip with a windsurfing bunch of buddies who want to stay on Lac Bay but I still want to get a few dives on the other side. Doable?

Sure you can. It's may be 5 miles across the island. Here is a map that might help. It does not have a scale on it but the island is something like 3 to 7 miles wide by 12 miles long so you can guess at the scale. The blocks appear to be about 1 mile square. Lac Bay is in the lower right hand side while most of the diving is along the west side of the island. Unless you are fairly experienced and have a good buddy team I would suggest you not try the most southerly sites. They can get rough and the current can get strong at times.
http://www.skyviews.com/bonaire/map.html

Back
Top Bottom