Bonaire question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimpod:
Can you stay on the wild side (Lac Bay) and still dive the west side? How far is from Lac Bay to the west coast? I am planning a trip with a windsurfing bunch of buddies who want to stay on Lac Bay but I still want to get a few dives on the other side. Doable?

This is what i did the first time i went. You'll need a car but otherwise no problem. Maybe a 15 min drive to Capt Don's, for example, if you hit the rush hour. Most resorts allow "outsiders" to buy their dive packages.

The east(wild) side is doable from shore but I would not attempt it without a local guide. Lac Cai(north end of Lac Bay) is probably the most popular site and entry is not as rough. I made 4 dives there last October, but there was a wind reversal at the time so surf was not too big. My buddy and I did call one dive for rough water. Also did Baby Beach where I saw my first nurse shark.

Jet

When I return to Bonaire, I will most definately book at least 1 day with Larry's Wild Side Diving. I had some buddies that went out with Larry this past Thursday and they were diving with turtles for 27 minutes! Lots of other large pelagic creatures were seen also. It was also a drift dive; you enter the water and Larry maneuvers his boat to pick up up at the end of the dive. They said the seas were about 6 feet, but Larry's boat have inflatable bladders that lower the dive deck to sea level, making entry and exit easy. You still have to time yourself to get back on the boat with 6 foot swells, but my buddies said that Larry's runs a first rate operation and are there to assist you with pretty much anything. Don't forget the Dramamine!

Your welcome. There is a pretty good closeup of the Kralendike on a differnet page, the link is at the bottom.

That is the same map that the car/truck rental companies have, it looks a lot better in person, but I found that only the major roads are indicated on it. Since lot of the roads travelled are dirt roads and are not indicated (or poorly) if you venture to a place that is not detailed on the map, get a local's directions as well.

Welcome to the board Larry. Nice to see you here.
No reason for you to remember me but we have met a couple of times. I have been hearing some great thing about your new boat. I plan to do a couple of dives with you in July.

Larry,
My wife and i are considering doing a dive or two with you when we come back next feb. How rough is the water on that side of the island? My wife gets sea sick and she was concerned about that. We go out on lake michigan salmon fishing and in three foot rollers she gets ill feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom