Bonaire newb, looking to narrow it down re: house reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other point is that anywhere outside of the dive resorts in town, if you're solo, you're pretty much on your own. Probably 1/2 our 22? dives - and we targeted the "best of" except for the Hooker - we were the only divers there the entire time. Also there's no facilities at any site outside of town either - except the food truck who is usually at one of the south sites - often where the kiteboarders are.

Some of the entries are more challenging than others also. Some of this is old but most haven't changed much - and there's entry photo's. Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands

I've stayed at Eden Beach and was very pleased with Wannadive. The house reef has a little current most of the time so there is a fun drift drive from Bari Beach to Front Porch (Wannadive's Dock) Nice and easy, as shallow or deep as you want and lots of sea life.

Also there's no facilities at any site outside of town either - except the food truck who is usually at one of the south sites - often where the kiteboarders are.

Just a heads up that there haven't been food trucks down south at Kite Beach (Atlantis) for a couple of years. Apparently the popularity of the trucks drew attention to food service zoning/permitting restrictions associated with that beach being on Cargill property.

The Cactus Blue Kite Burger truck that started the craze is currently being operated by its third owner at Donkey Beach, near the airport. The current owners are great, but it's hard not to miss Hagen since he left the island. He was always ready with a warm smile, hot burger, and a cold beer. He was also the first to offer a "lionfish burger" on the island.

The Kite City burger truck relocated from Atlantis to Te Amo Beach, which is literally across the road from the airport parking lot.

Asko Tabasco, who was previously the Operations Manager for Dive Friends Bonaire for the last 9 years, recently opened a 3rd burger truck called King Kong Bonaire with his wife at Bachelor Beach. We're looking forward to trying their interesting new menu in another week or so when we arrive. There's more info on King Kong Bonaire here for those interested.

Bon apetit!

P.S. - The photo below shows how things used to be down south at Atlantis Beach, as mentioned by diversteve. It was a fun way to eat some lunch and get a little surface interval time without driving back to town for food.

kite-beach-atlantis_990x660.jpg

I like having a house reef. We stay at Coral Paradise and dive through Capt Dons. On a week trip with 6 days of diving, I will dive the house reef and neighboring house reefs at least twice a day. With gear in lockers at the dock with tanks right there it does not get any easier. Most of my house reef dives are with a 63 nitrox and depths vary but usually go down deep (100 or so on the first dive of the day, less as the day goes on) and work my way up the slope. If you are in to slow and looking for fish and things it can't be beat. Some of the best diving is in the 30-50 range and some of my best finds have been in the shallows from the dock to the top of the slope (10'-30'). There is usually something different to find on each house reef dive. It never gets boring. We like to boat dives and truck shore diving too. Having the house reef with easy gear up and access is a big plus for us. I can head out for a night sunrise dive when others are sleeping, grab a tank and do a house reef dive after returning from a boat dive or truck shore dive. It enables you to get maximum dive time without maximum effort. Enjoy!

Hi all,

Newbie to the Bonaire, have done some searching and lots of overwhelming information about this shore diving Mecca.

Wondering if some of you seasoned pros could help me narrow down some ideas on where to stay, who to use, etc.

I know most of this is subjective and very personal.

I'm more fascinated with macro video than anything, but do appreciate the wide angle as well.

Who has the best house reef?
Ease of access, tanks (daylight hours, 24hr p/up), ease of entry, lodging etc?

Is the reef shallow? Deep? Mid? (Ie, 20ft, 50ft, 100ft)?

What do you like it over other sites?

I'd like to get to know one or two sites really really well (ie 2+ dives/day), while checking out others.

As for lodging, nothing fancy required. Doesn't need to be a 'resort' nor hostel. Hot water is a nice luxury, AC not a requirement, hot plate & bbq/cooking pit would be nice, fridge.... And access to said house reef.

Nitrox appreciated.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Any insights?

_R
Divi provides 24 hour access.

your gear is stored in a personal locker out on the dock (bring a lock or use your suit case lock). tanks are right beside the lockers. jump off the dock, climb back up the ladder. super easy house reef.

The dive starts off the dock in about 10 feet of sand bottom, 45 degree dropoff starts at about 20 feet deep and goes as deep as you want.

They have fully equipped timeshare units and also mini fridge coffee maker units.

We eat breakfast there, lunch in our room and walk into town for supper.

It's worth noting Sand Dollar, Buddy Dive Resort, Captain Don's Habitat, Hamlet Oasis and Beachcomber Villas are north of town, not far to drive but not what I'd call walking distance, and there's a small Asian supermarket up the road a bit from Buddy Dive Resort that had most of what I needed most of the time.

Divi Flamingo is around what I'd call the southern end of Kralendijk, the capital, so others have indicated in past threads that you can walk into town. If that's a big issue, so be it. I historically didn't find parking to be bad, or feel the need to be that close to town, but if you're considering Divi, that's something to be mindful of.

Been a few years since I stayed at Eden Beach Resort. The 'house reef' in front of it is sand, some rocky structure (hence the name Eden's Rubble), and if you head out, sort of a deep 'bowl' with the wreck of the Bakanal (gotta wonder what that modest-sized boat is looking like by now?). At night, what I assume are tube anemones stuck out of the sand; they can whip back into hiding very fast. It's not a bad site, but it's not a lush coral & gorgonian site, either.

That resort is on the island and across from Klein Bonaire, so the sea there is 'pinched' between islands and subject to intermittent current. We were told to look at the boats moored just offshore. If they are perpendicular to the coast, fine, dive. If they are parallel, the current has turned them that way, so stay out.

At the far northern edge of Eden Beach Resort's property, a buddy & I went in and down to the sunken tug boat I believe around 90 feet deep maybe? Then headed north. That's the site called Front Porch, if memory serves. My impression was it was a decent dive site, but not one that called me back for repeats over alternatives.

Richard.

The Kite City burger truck relocated from Atlantis to Te Amo Beach, which is literally across the road from the airport parking lot.
That was the one I was thinking of.

Thanks again all for your input.

Found a wikimapia page that nicely shows the properties and dive sites. Makes things a little less confusing at the moment.

_R

That resort is on the island and across from Klein Bonaire, so the sea there is 'pinched' between islands and subject to intermittent current. We were told to look at the boats moored just offshore. If they are perpendicular to the coast, fine, dive. If they are parallel, the current has turned them that way, so stay out.
Richard.
Good advice - check the boats and stay out.
We got caught up in that current a few years ago. Started out dead still and half way across from shore to the drop off at Den Laman it came out of nowhere. Like a jet stream. No way could hunkering down on the sand help. Couldn't get anywhere. Flounders came up off the floor and were whizzing past backwards, flapping like crazy followed by other fish all trying to keep head in to the current and hold ground - to no avail. Wondered if we were going to end up in Venezuela. Fortunately we were saved the embarrassment of arriving in town amongst the yachts by an old dock which we managed to diagonal to and hide behind. The current dropped after a few minutes. Divers who were already over the drop off didn't experience any unusual current.

Not sure what the local advice is about being caught half-way across - I suspect it is to be observant of anything to hang on to or hide behind, and/or relax and enjoy the ride into town.

I would also consider Eden beach/Spice, it's a nice place and Wannadive has an on site dive shop with their filling station (including nitrox).
They charge reasonable prices, and offer various guided dives by boat.

The home reef offers two dive sites (Front Porch and Something Special) which are very nice to dive and easy to access (beach or pier).

Back
Top Bottom