Bonaire last week: I liked Curacao more--but just a little

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We had a great trip to Bonaire last week (5/22-5/29/10). We stayed at Buddies which was just fine.
Last year we went to Curacao and stayed at Habitat Curacao. Both Bonaire and Curacao are wonderful dive locations, however, both my wife and I decided that we liked Curacao just a little bit better. Overall, I thought that the Habitat Curacao house reef was more diverse and extensive than Buddie's house reef. Actually, all the sites in Curacao seemed just a little bit healthier/diverse than those in Bonaire. Last week we did house reef dives, shore dives and boat dives. Bonaire does have the shore diving advantage for certain and the drive through at Buddies made the whole shore experience pretty easy. Curacao felt less crowded also and perhaps just a bit friendlier, although that may be a function of the less crowded. I would certainly return to either !

I will be doing my first Bonaire trip this coming Sept. I have been to Curacao twice and enjoyed both trips. We have friends who only go to Bonaire (she doesn't like boats) and they swear that the things they see on Bonaire are the same as what we show them in our photos from Curacao. Most of the photos and videos I have seen from Bonaire actually don't look like the reefs are the same. We are hoping to do some of the dives at the far northwest part of Bonaire; they sound like some of the dives in more or less matching parts of Curacao. Anyone have any insight to that?:diver:

We had a great trip to Bonaire last week (5/22-5/29/10). We stayed at Buddies which was just fine.
Last year we went to Curacao and stayed at Habitat Curacao. Both Bonaire and Curacao are wonderful dive locations, however, both my wife and I decided that we liked Curacao just a little bit better. Overall, I thought that the Habitat Curacao house reef was more diverse and extensive than Buddie's house reef. Actually, all the sites in Curacao seemed just a little bit healthier/diverse than those in Bonaire. Last week we did house reef dives, shore dives and boat dives. Bonaire does have the shore diving advantage for certain and the drive through at Buddies made the whole shore experience pretty easy. Curacao felt less crowded also and perhaps just a bit friendlier, although that may be a function of the less crowded. I would certainly return to either !

Shhhhhhh, you need to keep this a secret. LOL. I actually feel the same way. We stayed at Allwest in Westpunt. The reefs are great with easy access, nice beaches, a larger variety of food and the stay was less expensive.

eepKay uietQay aboutHay uracaoCay :ignore:

Find this a very interesting discussion. Have been to Bonaire 9 or 10 times. we're going to Curacao this thanksgiving for first time. staying at all west. looking forward to it and maybe then can add something to this discussion. Have really enjoyed Bonaire and if Curacao is a similar experience it will be great. Only thing I've noticed so far is never had to have equipment serviced when went to Bonaire. Any problems were easily and quickly taken care of. Also amazing how few problems we had in 10 years. Will have to service or check out equipment before Curacao though.

[/QUOTE]Only thing I've noticed so far is never had to have equipment serviced when went to Bonaire. Any problems were easily and quickly taken care of. Also amazing how few problems we had in 10 years. Will have to service or check out equipment before Curacao though.[/QUOTE]

I think it's mosty a good idea to have your gear serviced every year anyway; can't be too careful with your life support.

The two times I was on Curacao I too stayed at All West. Their 24/7 access to tanks and your gear storage is really easy. Also did a couple of boat dives with Ocean Encounters West. Even though it had only been 75 dives or so since I had my gear serviced, I ran into a small problem on one of the boat dives. The tiny O-ring at the junction of the console and high pressure hose went south. Brian, the manager of OEW was able fo do the repair and had the reg back to me in time for afternoon shore dives.

I'll do a post after our Bonaire trip and give my opinion on comparing the two islands.

Have fun, be safe! BK

We did both islands as well - Curacao was our preference...just something about it.

I mean of course....keep it a secret - Hi Mintaka!!! We'll be returning to habitat in October
-Melissa and Adam

I mean of course....keep it a secret - Hi Mintaka!!! We'll be returning to habitat in October
-Melissa and Adam

Hey Melissa ! I remember you and Adam... the nice couple that we met and dove with in Curacao last year ! I hope you are both doing well.

Dan (and Karen)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom