Bonaire Jun-Jul 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings
Anyone else on the island?
We arrive in BONAIRE 6/28. Excited to say the least! Will post pictures and reports.

IN VACATION MODE :cool:

1687802911022.png

Report 1
Bonaire simply put is a beautiful island with very friendly people. Don’t expect a well developed coast line , this is more like a lay back island experiencing progress.

The only flight available from DC to Bonaire is American Airlines at 6:30 am and the air fare is currently running around $1000 + $30 per bag. It makes a stop in Miami for one hour. It is strongly recommended that you pay the visitor visa currently going for $75 pp before arrival. A printed original website receipt with a barcode is required per person.

1F7581A3-5A52-4207-9885-5C7E051A3972.jpeg

We are staying at Captain Don’s Habitat. The welcome party at front desk was more than welcoming. Very friendly, attentive and informative. The Rum Runner bar at Captain Don’s is full of nice smiling staff. The calamari were delicious. See pic

Divers are required to attend an 9:00am introduction before they are allowed to dive. During the introduction every diver must present proof of certification and Stinapa paid fee. Divers receive a diver # and get a locker assigned.

34741916-4C52-4BB7-B7CD-73DF9375BFB6.jpeg

Everyone in our party agree on one thing. The ocean and the color of the water around Bonaire 🇧🇶 is spectacular

We went to Patagonia restaurant for dinner. My wife’s ribeye and son Filet mignon were right on. The t-bone I ordered did not have mignon part and the NY was so full of tendons and fat that I nearly didn’t eat a piece of meat. I brought it up to the owner showing the pieces of fat and tendon that covered the plate. And the excuse was, t-bones are full of fat. Well then, I don’t recommend eating t-bone at Patagonia restaurant.

More to come tomorrow when we start diving and taking underwater pics

Last time at Patagonia I got to use the famous Caddyshack line “And tell the cook this is low grade dogfood. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know?” Definitely lost in translation. Low grade beef and frozen vegetables at Abe & Louie’s prices. Never again.

If you want a decent steak, try Trocadero, they also have great live music. They claim it’s Argentinian beef, I don’t believe that, but it’s better than Patagonia.

How long you there for? I get back July 12th.

Reviews on Patagonia have always been mixed. You can cross it off your list.

I'm next door at Buddy, last dives tomorrow am. :confused:
This whole island is dialed infor diving. Amazing trip, enjoy your stay!!!

Just curious, is Buddy doing “checkout dives” on the house reef even though it’s a “red site.”

If you get the option for sites on the boat go as far north as they allow first.
The zones are strange and Klein was open in the am and closed in the afternoon.
Curious how Don is running trips?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom