Bonaire is doing OK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I have been on Bonaire since Aug 17. We were concerned about the recent identification of SCTLD. Only Karpata and La Dania's Leap remain closed and boats are not going to the northern sites inaccessible from shore.

We stay at Den Laman, Bari Reef is our house dive. On an afternoon dive today, we had squid, a huge school of Horse Eye Jacks, 5 frogfish!, and a seahorse. It doesn't get much better than that. We have seen a few frogfish at two other sites as well as another seahorse.

I'll post a complete review once we get back. We even ate out a few times when my daughter and her boyfriend were here for the middle week. Groceries and eating out are expensive.

I think Bari Reef is one of the best dives on the West side of Bonaire! East side is the best if you can get there.

My wife and I have been on Bonaire since Aug 17. We were concerned about the recent identification of SCTLD. Only Karpata and La Dania's Leap remain closed and boats are not going to the northern sites inaccessible from shore.

We stay at Den Laman, Bari Reef is our house dive. On an afternoon dive today, we had squid, a huge school of Horse Eye Jacks, 5 frogfish!, and a seahorse. It doesn't get much better than that. We have seen a couple of frogfish at another site as well as another seahorse.

I'll post a complete review once we get back. We even ate out a few times when my daughter and her boyfriend were here for the middle week. Groceries and eating out are expensive.
How are you finding this many frog fish?! Would love to know some secrets to find them.

How are you finding this many frog fish?! Would love to know some secrets to find them.
It's not always easy. We dive Bari Reef frequently, as it is our house reef. We found one of the small yellow frogfish on the first day and then there were two in the same spot the next day. We found the third larger yellow frogfish soon thereafter, at the same depth, about 30 feet south. Yesterday, all three of them were in the same spot as the first day.

We were told about the black seahorse but could not find it the first day. We found it the next day. Very close by, I spotted a small green/yellow frogfish and, to my surprise, the small pink frogfish was right next to it. The seahorse and the two frogfish have moved around in a relatively small area since. We have not seen all 5 frogfish every day, just Friday and yesterday. We have seen the seahorse each day since we found it. So the 5 frogfish and seahorse are the result of days of diving. They tend to hang out in a small area, so are not generally so difficult to find again.

We saw a white frogfish at Munk's Haven, 2 yellow frogfish at Mi Dushi, and a yellow seahorse at Joanne's Sunchi, all off Klein Bonaire. A point if favor for doing some boat dives while on Bonaire

@tursiops is right, sometimes you spot their feet, stuck out to brace them into their position.

So, yesterday, the two small yellow frogfish were together in their original location, the big yellow frogfish was separate, back in her original spot. We could not find the black seahorse. The green/yellow and pink frogfish were together again, in one of their previous spots.

As we headed in, we watched several divers swim right over the two frogfish without seeing them. Once you know what they look like, it is much easier to see them. They were very well camouflaged in an area with some pink sponge right next to some yellow sponge.

Last day of diving today, day 13, the time goes by so quickly

I'm sure many of you noticed the post regarding the possibility that SCTLD was misidentified, I am hoping so SCTLD report may have been unfounded!. It struck me as odd that SCTLD would have skipped so much of the Caribbean before landing in Bonaire STINAPA EMERGENCY: Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) is in Bonaire

Test time! How many frogfish do you see?

D80A4A41-D168-467C-8A48-F785A4F4D1B3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom