STINAPA EMERGENCY: Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) is in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I agree. the prevailing current in Bonaire is south. Why wouldn't SCTLD spread south? This information makes me very sad, my wife and I have our 9th trip to Bonaire at the end of August. How did SCTLD get to Bonaire? Doesn't seem like currents. I would guess commercial or cruise ships.
And it spread completely around Grand Cayman in a relatively short period of time during the pandemic - when there were very few divers on the reefs.

I was thinking of getting on a November Bonaire trip with my dive shop, but will likely head elsewhere now as I’d expect the site closings and restrictions to only increase by then. I hope I’m wrong!

Do these decontamination efforts even work? I seriously doubt you can prevent spread in an open ocean setting this way unless many of the divers are dragging along against the coral - which is a whole other issue if it is?
Some of the researchers here in the keys attributed to fish also

Is there evidence that SCTLD is spread largely by divers, rather than by water movement/currents or boat traffic?
We all want to stop the spread, and evidence-based mitigations are more likely to help.

When I heard this I checked to see if Karpata is close to the cruise ship terminal. Ends up that it is close to the BOPEC pier best I can tell. Unless ocean currents are spreading it I can't see divers bringing it home for weeks or months gear rinsed and drying out and then bringing it down there.

I will be there Saturday for my first trip there and will report back.

My belief it is spread more by balist water in large ships.
That could be how it got to Bonaire, but it does not account for how it spreads once it gets there. An argument against the "ballast water" hypothesis is the geographical spread. It started in FL and then did not follow the main shipping routes but rather the currents. See Coral Disease Outbreak - AGRRA

It is interesting to look at the spread of SCTLD. Until now, does not appear that it has been identified anywhere near Bonaire. From AGRRA Coral Disease Outbreak - AGRRA

1659103033080.png

1659103064108.png

Back
Top Bottom