Bonaire in early September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are trying to decide where to go this year, have always wanted to try Bonaire. What conditions can be expected in early September?
Thanks

I did a week a diving in September once and still only wore just a t-shirt and my bathing suit. Have fun. We will be back in 2 months!

Be careful though, trying Bonaire is dangerous........you will keep going back and won't be able to stop!:D

My last trip there was in late September 2007; diving conditions were very good. Water was flat calm for half the week, and calm the rest of the week. We were able to shore dive the East side, so hire a guide to do a couple of dives on that side of the island while you're there. The only drawback is that a lot of the restaurants close during September, so you may not get to try all the really good restaurants. Because of the lack of the usual tradewinds at this time of year, the mosquitos tend to be worse, so bring some DEET. The above water conditions will be very hot and humid, so make sure you get a room with AC.

We were there last Sept 18-23 and it was fine. True, a few mosquitos, but a hurricane wnet north a few days before our arrival and brought some rain, which brought out the mosquitos. Water was very clear all week.

I love it here in September!!! It is very hot if you don't have the winds, but as posts previously stated...VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE AIRCO, especially at night. Also 'skeeters around more when no wind, but nothing like swarming...

They mostly are those "no seeums" and hang around at dusk until the sun is down. You wake up the next morning, usually with little red dots from your knees down. We always put something on (different things work for different people. Me it's Avon's Skin So Soft Buguard and for hubby, anything with DEET) every evening around 5pm.

It is lovely and fairly quiet here that time of year. I think you will love it!

Liz

We are thinking about going in July but not sure about the weather - I would love feedback from anyone who has been there in July. Haven't been to the carribean in the summer yet but we will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and can't think of a better way to do it than taking a dive trip!

We are thinking about going in July but not sure about the weather - I would love feedback from anyone who has been there in July. Haven't been to the carribean in the summer yet but we will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and can't think of a better way to do it than taking a dive trip!

Weather is warm but there is always a breeze. Water is around 82 degrees with usually very good visibility. We have found more thermoclines and upwellings in July than other times. Dive sites and restaurants are less crowded than during the winter. We celebrated our 30th and 33rd anniversaries in Bonaire and will be there for 35 (not July) but try to time our yearly summer trip there to hit my husband's July birthday. You are right -- what a way to celebrate!

Thanks reefdiva! I've heard some of the islands are unbearably "buggy" that time of year so we were a little concerned but it sounds great. Glad to hear you enjoy it so much you plan yearly summer trips there. Enjoy your 35th anniversary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom