Bonaire Food Questions for Locals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I’m heading to Bonaire for two weeks and want to know:

1) Places to food shop...where do the locals go? Are there any special markets out there?

2) Where to grab good (non tourist) food. Lunch; Dinner; Appetizers; and Seafood?

Thanks in advance....

cb

Well, I'm not a local but know the island well. The 2 major markets on the island are the Cultimara, downtown and the Warehouse near the airport. The Cultimara has the better bread (fresh baked) and a better selection of produce. The Warehouse is bigger and has more. The vegetable stand on the water frount is the best place for fresh veggies and fruits.
There are plenty of good restaurants, none of which I really consider touristy but the local "snacks"-Bonairian fast food places are inexpensive and very good.
Liz at Golden Reef Inn does a real nice "taste of Bonaire" meal on Monday nights, that's a good choice.

There is a farmers type market downtown near the city pier across from the City Cafe. Fruits and veggies. We tried to stay away from the tourist restaurants and went where the local hotel cleaning crew recommended. I will try to remember the names and post later.

I didn't find any of the restaurants 'touristy'. You will enjoy your dining experiments anywhere on the island! There is a great restaurant serving traditional Bonaire food in a beautiful outdoors setting (with sun canopy) in Rincon. (Verona's Bar Restaurant)

http://www.infobonaire.com/restaurant.html

WattaBurger has a vegetarian burger that's tasty.

There is a wide variety of foods for every taste available. Try Rum Runners at Captain Don's Habitat for great food, and a killer view of the ocean.

One caveat: some of the restaurants with outside dining should provide mosquito repellent according to my diving friends. I was never bitten.

:coffee:

one thing you need to be aware of - the restaurants all close early ! If you head out at 10pm (say after cleaning up after a night dive) you're going to be hard pressed to find places open.

Yes, What Stu said. Eat dinner around 6 and then dive after. I found the diving to be better at 10:00 than right after sundown.

I remembered a couple of restaurants: Richards on the Water. Food was good and view was great. Cactus Blue, Food was the best we had on the island and the owners/managers are great, Great adult beverages at a great price too. City Cafe, More locals than anywhere we ate, Food was pretty good, We ate lunch there and had burgers. Just don't be in a hurry anytime you go out to dinner.

Remember the mottos: Relax It's Bonaire, and You Are ON Island Time.

WOW...great responses, thank you everybody. Glad to know about the early dinner, I am a late eater when on vacation and would have fallen to that mistake.

cb

Plan on plenty of time to eat, it's common for us to take 2 hrs. Food is cooked to order and from scratch so it takes more time than we are use to. Another meal custom to be aware of. Meals are to be enjoyed and it is considered rude to place your check on the table before YOU ask for it. Kind of like saying "you have eaten get the **** out of my restaurant". If you are in a hurry, tell your wait staff ahead of time, they will do their best to speed it up some. When you are ready to leave, make eye contact with your waitress/er and make a sign you want your check, otherwise you are waiting on each other.

If your a meat eater, go to Casa Blanca early in the week and order the mixed grill for 2. This thing is HUGE, you will have meat leftovers for several days. It's a real deal at $34.

Dive California:
I’m heading to Bonaire for two weeks and want to know:

1) Places to food shop...where do the locals go? Are there any special markets out there?

2) Where to grab good (non tourist) food. Lunch; Dinner; Appetizers; and Seafood?

Thanks in advance....

cb

My wife daughter and I were on Bonaire two weeks ago.

Casablanca was excellent we got the Mixed Grill for two and added on another plate for $6 for my daughter. The Mixed Grill for two is $36.00.

The food was excellent and fed the three of us for two meals. Also, the extra plate for my daughter was not an empty plate. I came full of rice, salad, salsa and some other stuff I can't remember.

We also ate at Patagonia's. The food was pretty good but the service was on "island time".

When we had the leftover's wrapped up the host added more French fries to the wrapped food an no extra cost.

As Herman mentioned the "Gibby's Buffet" at Golden Reef Inn (Monday night's) was a good sampling of local fare.

Herman was there the same night my family was there.

My wife and I just returned from Bonaire last sunday. We also did the BBQ @ The Golden Reef Inn. Had a great time with Ed & Liz and their friends. Good local food by Giby and learned alot about Bonaire life from his (and our brother!) Chargo. Found some really good places with great food and atmoshere. We enjoyed Chibi Chibi, Donna Giorgio's, It Rains Fishes, & Salsa for dinner and Wataburger, Mambo Jambo & Papagayos for lunch. We found most of what we needed at the Cultimara and at the small bodega up the street. Service in general was slower than we are used to but we were on vacation and there is "island time". Also note, most stores in town closed for 1/2 to 1 1/2 at about noon. We had a great time and hope that you do the same.
Tom & Isabelle

Back
Top Bottom