Bonaire Food Questions for Locals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a few places you might like for inexpensive good food.

Bobbi Jan's - open Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday lunch night only. Ribs, chicken, fish simple meals, good portions, great price. Eat in or take away. In between Kaya Grande and the promenade.

El Fagon - Columbian food, good portions, good choices, good pricing and some interesting specials. Lunch and dinner. Past the Warehouse to the next intersection, turn right, about 75 yards on the right.

Another 100 yards turn right and then left to the "Carnecaria" where they cook chicken and ribs every Saturday. A whole rotisserie chicken is 12,50 Nafl. The turn is just before the Vet and starts with the letter C. If you get to the vet you have gone too far, turn around and take your first left.

Mi Banana - Good local food and pricing. In town past the church. take the road in between the church and Carib Fasteners (Kaya Nikiboko) and go maybe 1/2 mile on right.

Just past there is a local super market "More for Less". Great produce with a butcher in the meat shop.

Have a great holiday

BobbyJan's Takeaway has great BBQ. They are only opened on the weekends. Good food and very reasonable. Casablanca, Cactus Blue, It Raines Fishes all good.

Local food: On Tuesday nights you can also eat at Gibi's house, he serves great local food. Also for lunch, you can hit some local "snacks", which are "kitchens" usually attached the people's homes where mom & pop usually make whatever is available that day. It is normally very good, and inexpensive. They are great places to go if you want to try something you have never heard of before. Also my FAVORITE place in RINCON is The Rose Inn...very cold beers and great food. I also love Maiky Snack heading out toward Lac Cai. Gibi's though has to be my favorite local food.

Enjoy!

Liz

I'm guessing there are little to no cattle on Bonaire, so what is considered "local" fare on Bonaire, on the Barbie? Goat? I'd imagine they eat lots of fish; rice and beans? Does most of the food come from Venezuela? Is anything grown on the island, fruits?

Again, thanks for everybody’s input…I love the fact that dinner is actually an event there, not just a time for fuel input…but, I kind of thought that with the Dutch influence.

thanks,

cb

Not a local either, but my favorites - Cultimara - I called it Culture-shocky the first time I walked it. Large building, limited selection. Warehouse -bigger, newer, larger selection. There is a small bodega up the block from Cutlimara that I like to frequent for a quick pick up. They speak Papiamentu & I don't so our communication experience adds to my trip! Good for bread, cheese, drinks, fruit, veggies, do make a mean empanada. Cactus Blue - food, drinks, yummy appetizers. If Moogie is still there go on a night he is in - lots of fun - music, dancing, good trivia questions & give aways. The owners & staff are great. Fun night for a group. Mona Lisa - usually find some of the local business owners at the bar. This is our romantic spot. City Cafe - wide variety, good prices & specials. Sit outside & watch the town go by on a Saturday evening. Buddy's Dive & Dine - a night dive & dinner - $20 or dinner $10. Chicken or shrimp, rice & salad served at the bar area. Get a table by the bulkhead, watch the lights from night divers on Buddy's Reef. Good portions & well prepared. (Though I've not had a good experience with their buffets...) Does anyone know what happened to the lady who made goat milk ice cream up in Rincon? Hopefully booking my next trip (4/19 - 4/26) TODAY!! YEAH - but so far away!!

Back
Top Bottom