Suggestions for our 1st Visit to Bonaire May 27-June 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
Heading down in a few weeks and really looking forward to it. Plan on shore dives and maybe a boat dive or 2.
Looking for some great suggestions on particular, not to miss sites, and places to eat and visit. Staying at the Bamboo Bonaire.
Thanks in advance!

Be sure to read up on the Stoney Coral Tissue Disease protocols and closures. Lots of info on this site. Be extra careful about contacting the reef and disinfect gear between sites when possible.

Oil slick, Karpata, The Lake, Salt Pier are some of my favorite shore sites. Last I heard the sites north of Karpata were closed, and Klein was only open til 2pm. I would catch a boat over to Klein for a morning two tank or two. I would save the East Coast for a return trip there's plenty to see on the calm side for a couple of trips. With a family of five we don't eat out alot on vacation so I'm no help there.

Where are you staying, (Duh!), what are you doing for tanks?

@arew+4 has you started in a good direction for the dives. For places to eat check out this thread Your favorite bonaire restaurant. The early part of the thread is dated information, but you will find updated entries towards the end.

Have a great time!

Erik

Been there quite a few times....never done a boat dive there but have been curious. Just like @arew+4 mentioned...Karpata, Salt Pier are awesome sites. I like Bari and Cliff as well. Last year The Lake dive site had several nurse sharks and eagle rays around. Hilma Hooker just because it's the only real wreck there. lol

Depending on how much diving you want to do you'll hit at least 20 dive sites. The southern part is like 2 reef systems divided by sand. I enjoy the northern dive sites more. 1000 steps, Oil Slick etc.

Ask your dive operator and they'll tell you where they've had good viz and good critters to look at. I usually use Dive Friends but have used others and they are helpful as well.

Be prepared for being patient at the airport on arrival. No AC and can be slow and hot getting through immigration and baggage.

If you have a rental car or truck that you have to return with a full tank don't wait until the drive to the airport on your departure day to fill up. You could find yourself in a long line at the gas station.

Enjoy the freedom of shore diving and the ease and relatively low cost of boat diving.

This may be your first trip but likely will not be your last.

Hi @Matt B

There are many great Bonaire Trip Reviews, click on one of the trip review icons and just the reviews will come up. read a few.

My wife and I spent two weeks at Den Laman last August, just a bit south of Bamboo Bali at the circle. Here is my post from the restaurant review thread

Have a great trip, please report back

Our first trip in Feb. 2020, we did strictly shore diving, and it was awesome! Such freedom to go when you want, where you want. We have been back 3 more times since then and added some boat dives on Klein Bonaire (Dive Friends, Epic Tours). On our recent 2 week April trip we did 2 days of boat diving with Dive with Ebby, and it was great!

We stay across the street from Bamboo Bonaire at Coral Paradise. There is a Chinese Grocery store within walking distance, carries US brands primarily. Rum Runners restaurant at Captain Don's is walking distance, decent pizza and a great view. Make a reservation. Eddy's is also nearby, good food, and they have Music and Mojitos on Tueday night. (only open Mon-Fri). Reservations recommended. Lot's of good restaurants in town, read the TripAdvisor reviews for more ideas. In between dives to the south, we like Stoked food truck, Kite City Food truck (both at Windsock) and King Kong Burgers at Bachelor Beach.

Dives sites already mentioned are all good! This trip I thought Oil Slick and Tolo were better than usual in terms of amount and variety of fish on the reef. We snorkeled at the Cliff and saw a line of 8 squid!

Enjoy!

Bamboo Bali has a fantastic restaurant, if you can get in, and if they are open > Chefs. Pre fixe, innovative, attentive, awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom