Trip Report Bonaire - December 24 - December 31 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last we checked, Buddy's tends to work out better for 4 to 8 people, for a couple about everywhere else is better. But there's plenty of other variables to factor in, e.g. our card won't cover rental car insurance for a truck so renting from AB w/ full coverage works out better for us; YMMV. Buddy's has it own fleet. And so on.
ok, we are a group of three (3) and only 2 dive. The third person (wife) does not dive.
What credit cards they don't take? Amex and EU Card?

Hi, great report, thanks much. But can you comment on overall perceived fish count/amount? I ask because an early report indicated that fish seemed lacking; when I dove in Little Cayman in October fish were def lacking; and just came back from Grenada and again fish kind of lacking. Thanks.
We saw a lot of fish-I'd say more than I had expected. Not many big fish, but a lot of small ones. For comparison of other destinations, I'd say similar amounts to Belize and Utila. Less than Raja Ampat, Komodo, Socorro, and Cabo Pulmo. We choose not to eat seafood in the hopes that it leaves more fish to see underwater.

Buddy Dive Resort is the more expensive by over $800.
Not sure of the current situation; in the past when I looked, I recall Buddy Dive Resort rates tended to include breakfast buffet, which they valued at $15/day/person (food is rather expensive on Bonaire, and it's a pretty nice buffet); if there are 2 of you for a week, 15x2x7 = $210 (granted, not $800). Just saying included breakfast does impact the value proposition. They came and got us at the airport, and took us to the resort, and from the resort back to the airport at trip's end. It's also important to scrutinize whether a given package deal includes any boat dives, since if one does and a competitor doesn't, that can run up the price.

Last I heard, BDR had 2 onsite restaurants, one upscale (and I haven't eaten there); the other was okay and I ate there a number of times.

At some point in the past, I noticed eating out I tended to order a pretty similar setup; calamari appetizer if they had it, and 'catch of the day' (usually wahoo or mahi mahi with fries and a mix of vegetables).

Oh, unless things have changed (note: hereafter, talking about restaurant service on Bonaire, not specific to one on Buddy Dive Resort), don't count on sodas offering unlimited refills. The price may be per can of soda, and if you order a soda with your meal, they may bring it out well in advance. Service can be slow and you may need to hail the server and ask for your check when you're done; the style is different from the U.S.

If you haven't already check out the specials on Maduro dive for buddy's, Capt dons and a couple other bon resorts

BDR has 2 room apartment (sleep 4) and offer to us for 3 people, therefore you take the rate for 4 and divided by 3, that is why is more expensive than the others.

We ask for an extra bed at Sand Dollar (insomniac wife) and 2nd floor units have the balconies fully mosquito-proof so one can sleep there -- I do, -- plus the queen bed in the studio. But since there's actually 3 of you, I expect they'll charge you for 3. Also note that the ground floor units' verandahs have mesh doors that aren't quite as skitter-proof, so sleeping out there may not work quite so well.

I’m about to pull the trigger on Captain Don Habitat with an offer all inclusive (truck, breakfast, endless shore dives, nitrox, taxes, fees, pool room, etc., ) see you in June/July if you are about Bonaire 🤿

I will think you will be happy with the choice. Enjoy. I will wave to you from Curacao.

I looked everywhere for eggs yesterday. Nobody had them except 1 store. I bought 5 doz!

Go to Bob's house for eggs! Capt Don's is a great choice and you are within a quick walk of many other dining options. Across the street is a great market for food, adult beverages, other things you forgot. Reef is lovely, head north to Cliff and south to La Machaca as reference points. If you do boat diving, our buddy Carlos is currently one of the DM's, good guy, family owns Mi Banana a popular local restaurant. One of our favorite rituals is night dive followed by pizza from Rum Runners. Order a couple they are more personal size, thin crust. Their burgers are tasty as well. Be patient. Make reservations. Bring bug spray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom