Trip Report Bonaire - December 24 - December 31 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to what has already been mentioned by the OP, my favorite place for an outstanding Vegan meal (dinner) is Mezze: MEZZE Mezze Bonaire

Besides the Stoked food truck, which has an excellent Falafel wrap, you should also grab lunch or dinner at the Doner Station- their falafel wrap is even better: Doner Station Bonaire
It is located at the roundabout right across from the Den Laman Condos-- NE corner of the roundabout.

I have had good luck with various pizza places, I just order a pizza with the veggies I want and are available, with a red marinara sauce and ask them to hold the cheese.
Sounds great! I will be staying at Den Laman Condos so that will be convenient for us. I will put Mezze in my offline maps. Thank You!

Most of the restaurants I mentioned had legitimate vegetarian options. My wife doesn't eat fish either, so when I say vegetarian, that excludes fish (maybe not up to date on the lingo). The Beach, Cantina, and Joes all had excelent vegetarian options on their menus. Stoked Food Truck had a falafal wrap that was good and King Kong had a good veggy burder. Posada Para Mira had an excelent vegetarian plate with rice, beans, avacado, squash, and a few other items that was very good. Roos had a similar option. Kos Bon So was the only one that really didn't have a set vegetarian option other than rice and beans, but that was good enough for a quick meal when we were there.

I know what you mean about a mess of mixed vegetables just thrown together, none of these places were like that.
Thank you for the great food info! I will put these places in my offline maps! I know the diving is always good but the food can be the hard part! Lol. I try to be flexible when on vacation so instead of strict plant based vegan I will have egg whites, (breakfast), and mozzarella cheese, (ie. pizza!), but no meat, chicken or fish.

Don't worry about the egg whites: there are no eggs here.

A place with good house reef and dive set up? Could you share a recommendation(s)?
I think drrich2 hit most of the well-known ones. I would add Divi as well. Never stayed but have dove their house reef and great set up on dock and easy access. People who have stayed speak highly of the place. I like Capt Dons for ease of set up, storage, access and quality of the house reef.

I didn't mention Hamlet Oasis. If you go in, and head south, that's the Cliff dive site. Dive Friends is the on site services provider. I don't hear of people heading north, so I'm tentatively inferring that may not be too good. Either Buddy Dive Resort or Captain Don's offers good shore diving whether you head north or south, so Hamlet Oasis would have to offer a significantly cheaper price for me.

If you like to research more extensive options, Coral Paradise is somehow near Captain Don's, I think? Haven't stayed there and don't hear much about it, but I believe what I have heard was good.

f you like to research more extensive options, Coral Paradise is somehow near Captain Don's, I think? Haven't stayed there and don't hear much about it, but I believe what I have heard was good.
Stayed at CP a number of times. Run by great folks and great set up for a combi trip of truck shore diving and diving a house reef. They are located right behind CDs and at least when we have stayed there, we could book our diving through CP with CDs and had access to all of CDs shore diving facilities.

Hi, great report, thanks much. But can you comment on overall perceived fish count/amount? I ask because an early report indicated that fish seemed lacking; when I dove in Little Cayman in October fish were def lacking; and just came back from Grenada and again fish kind of lacking. Thanks.

Thanks for the trip report! I'm heading there in March and I am a vegan/vegetarian. What were some of your wife's favorite restaurants for vegetarian meals? I always worry about ending up eating nothing but rice and beans, or some crappy thrown together mixed vegetables with no love.
Dang. A vegan in Montana. After 5 seasons of Yellowstone, I never knew that was even permitted there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom