Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Paleo While we very much enjoyed our first trip to Bonaire in 2016, the airfare from Seattle is ridiculous. Last may we flew to Manila for half the price it would have cost to fly to Bonaire. The diving in Puerto Galera was amazing.

Nice! For me, in N. Michigan, the airfare dollars add up. The Philippines certainly offers great diving and some pretty good topside things too. For me, and liking critters, the Lembeh Straits was tops. But then, my first dive trip was to Sipidan when I visited friends who were working in Malaysia and they told me I had to learn to dive before my visit.

Hi guys. In fact, a colleague of mine was just robbed via a break-in at her AirB&B. Her security measures were beyond reproach. A safe that was broken into had blood on it. She learned that break-ins are now common. She stayed in the central area. She had little of value stolen, just credit cards, some cash, and a passport. Her stolen passport was used within 4 days. This is a racket.

I am an experienced traveler and know that safety is co-created by the traveler. BUT, Bonaire is a tiny island, not a busy city. Incoming and outgoing people can be inspected by police because it is an island. That is one reason Cozumel remains safe.

I know she is going to share her experience. I'll advise her to contact the US State Department for it to update travel advisories. I'm angry about her experience. I will also not visit Bonaire. I'd rather go all the way to Thailand again. The islands there have crime, but it's mostly avoidable. I write from experience.

Finally, while I will respond to respectful questions, I will not engage in flame wars.

I wish more people would run scared from Bonaire. Less people = less crowding and less crappy divers messing up the reef. I honestly love hearing from people who say they’re never going there. More fun for me.

Finally, while I will respond to respectful questions, I will not engage in flame wars.

But the latter is what is half the fun on scubaboard!!! :popcorn::poke::wink:

I've heard a handful of very scary stories, a handful of major theft stories, a couple of stories like your friend's and a couple of mittfuls of PITA and petty theft stories over the years. Whilst I haven't been to Bonaire yet and may never get there, I determined that it would be in my best ibterest to stay at a dedicated dive resort rather than in an Airbnb or VRBO etc.

For your friend, while I'm sorry that she was burgled, I'm really glad that she wasn't hurt.

Traveling can open us up to dangers that we may or may not experience at home. For myself, I don't always just automatically trust the safe in the accommodations.

I've been robbed on a beach in another country and have also come home to a stranger in my own house, in my own country.

I've heard a handful of very scary stories, a handful of major theft stories, a couple of stories like your friend's and a couple of mittfuls of PITA and petty theft stories over the years. Whilst I haven't been to Bonaire yet and may never get there, I determined that it would be in my best ibterest to stay at a dedicated dive resort rather than in an Airbnb or VRBO etc.

For your friend, while I'm sorry that she was burgled, I'm really glad that she wasn't hurt.

Traveling can open us up to dangers that we may or may not experience at home. For myself, I don't always just automatically trust the safe in the accommodations.

I've been robbed on a beach in another country and have also come home to a stranger in my own house, in my own country.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that a dedicated dive resort is probably best. I just take it personally when a place based on tourism doesn't seem able to secure its visitors.

I've not been to Cayman. It seems very expensive ... but what is the cost of victimization?

On the plus side, my friend is now an Open Water Diver and really liked the diving.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that a dedicated dive resort is probably best. I just take it personally when a place based on tourism doesn't seem able to secure its visitors.

I've not been to Cayman. It seems very expensive ... but what is the cost of victimization?

On the plus side, my friend is now an Open Water Diver and really liked the diving.

My friend had her wallet and passport stolen at the Bangkok airport. We just never know and that's why it behooves us to be careful and attentive.

Aren't we glad that your friend has become a diver! I hope that she dives the world over and never has anything like that happen to her again.

Your friend stayed in 'central' area. Where is that exactly? I've been to Bonaire a number of times, and always stay around the airport area on the water. I've have driven all over the island, and for me personally, I don't think I'd stay inland anywhere at all. Not that I feel unsafe, but it seems like it would be alot easier to be picked out as a visitor.

This recent robbery story is very upsetting. I have never been personally victimized on Bonaire but recognize the import of the experiences that others on this post have recounted. I think that untoward events can occur anywhere, but Bonaire needs to deal with this sort of crime to protect it's tourist industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom