Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indeed. Looking at a dive vacation and contemplating either Atlantis Dumaguette in the Philippines or KBR in N. Sulawesi, both where I've been before. But I like Bonaire for its relaxed diving and recognize the level of petty theft though, thankfully, I've not had a problem with

@Paleo While we very much enjoyed our first trip to Bonaire in 2016, the airfare from Seattle is ridiculous. Last may we flew to Manila for half the price it would have cost to fly to Bonaire. The diving in Puerto Galera was amazing.

Im paying $641 round trip on United from Houston for a 6 week trip.. I own my pick up truck in Bonaire or it's a cheap trip for me.. Also have tanks that I leave there...

Jim

My biggest concern is that they now have a breath-alizer on the island.. LOL..

Don't think it's been unpacked yet, or they are still trying to read the directions. My brother said he had heard of 1 dui arrest last year, but it followed one of the rare accidents on the island. He's lived on Bonaire for about 5 years now and hasn't ever seen a traffic stop.
BTW, the Dutch Marines were in town while we were there to help transfer the prisoners into the new jail. Somewhere around 125 inmates from what I was told. So they do actually arrest and incarcerate criminals there! And now have a newer facility to house them.

According to The Bonaire Reporter

"Representatives of the Public Prosecutor will be present during the inspections. In case of a high reading, the driver will be fined and, if applicable, arrests will be made. Also a driving ban can be imposed. The announcement did not disclose what the breath alcohol test limit is for fine or arrest.

If you are stopped for a traffic check / breath test, you are obliged to cooperate. If you do not cooperate, you will receive a fine.
"

Sounds like you are better off refusing the test if you are really loaded.

Don't think it's been unpacked yet, or they are still trying to read the directions. My brother said he had heard of 1 dui arrest last year, but it followed one of the rare accidents on the island. He's lived on Bonaire for about 5 years now and hasn't ever seen a traffic stop.

From the 08/27/2018 edition of the Bonaire Reporter:

Bonaire’s time-honored practice of drinking and driving got a setback when, as promised, police stopped 177 drivers one night last week. According to the police breath
analyzer, 24, about one driver out of eight, had a level of alcohol that impaired their driving ability. Four were so drunk they were taken to the jail.

Bonaire’s ordinance, which dates back to 1957, is vague about what constitutes alcohol impaired driving and depends on a subjective opinion of policemen. A replacement traffic ordinance, which includes a more precise definition of drunk driving, has been awaiting action by the Island Council for some time. At least one traffic check a month is promised.

From the 08/27/2018 edition of the Bonaire Reporter:

Bonaire’s time-honored practice of drinking and driving got a setback when, as promised, police stopped 177 drivers one night last week. According to the police breath
analyzer, 24, about one driver out of eight, had a level of alcohol that impaired their driving ability. Four were so drunk they were taken to the jail.

Bonaire’s ordinance, which dates back to 1957, is vague about what constitutes alcohol impaired driving and depends on a subjective opinion of policemen. A replacement traffic ordinance, which includes a more precise definition of drunk driving, has been awaiting action by the Island Council for some time. At least one traffic check a month is promised.
So somebody did read the directions, lol. Wonder where they set up? And what time of night? Sounds like the local definition of drunk probably isn't as low as in the States. We were there for the last 2 weeks of August and while we saw a number of police cars roaming around, did not see any activity other than the day of the prisoner transfer.
I'll ask my brother about it. Could be no Americans were involved and that's typically when he might be asked to help.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it's no longer an issue for me. One of my meds reacts very badly with alcohol - even a very small amount. I'll probably be doing 6-7 dives a day/night on my next trip LOL.

That's way too much work , Doing 6-7 dives aday... .. lol.. My days of work are over.. Easy does it and drink a beer is my speed.. 2 or 3 is all I need and when the wife is down for the last two weeks of the trip, One aday is sometimes the plan...

Jim..

Plus most of my dives are 120'+ hunting lionfish..

That's way too much work , Doing 6-7 dives aday... .. lol.. My days of work are over.. Easy does it and drink a beer is my speed.. 2 or 3 is all I need and when the wife is down for the last two weeks of the trip, One aday is sometimes the plan...

Jim..

Plus most of my dives are 120'+ hunting lionfish..

Without the beer what am I going to do? Take a nap? I'd rather get back into the water.

Where are you hunting lionfish? Not permitted on Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom