Bonaire Crime - Our experience - Looking for input to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from Bonaire and thought I noticed a greater police presence. We saw what looked like shiny new police cars with Dutch-looking policemen driving them at least three times during the week, once on the northern coastal road and twice around Kralendijk. This was our first trip in three years, but on previous trips I recall us sighting maybe one police car the entire week. Thanks to these Bonaire crime threads :shakehead:, the perception of crime is very much in our minds while we're there, and we do pay attention to the police presence or lack thereof.

Not sure that I agree. What is the "not worth the effort" comment based on? The police have stated that it is in fact one of their top 5 priorities - all crime against tourists, that is; lodging break-ins included (at least it was in 2016 when I corresponded with them) and the Tourism Corporation is (was) acutely aware of the need to take action. Do you know that this has changed, because I am interested in this given all the correspondence that I had at the time.

Well I guess I'm wrong. If they told you it's one of their top priorities it must be.

A pair of police, one patroling North and one South, would likely solve this problem overnight.

Police do patrol. I've seen them regularly both North and South. Problem is, you can typically see them, and other potential witnesses, coming a mile away. If you want to go through a car, there's very little stopping you. Many of the perps know the Kunuku like the back of their hand, so it's easy to disappear, even if you are spotted.

This assumes they are not corrupt....

As much as the local government is at the level you'd expect of an island with 15000 inhabitants, the Police are part of the Dutch police force. Chances of them being corrupt are about the same as that of any modern Western police force.

Going for my 8th week this December. I also never had even the slightest problem.

My biggest concern is that they now have a breath-alizer on the island.. LOL..

@Kharon. I couldn't agree more with you. In general, over the past 20 years the quality of Caribbean diving has gone into the toilet. Belize is a mess. Costs are through the roof. After 5 visits to Bonaire since 1996, I have seen a serious decline. Where are the big groupers? For my wife and daughter-in-law, the snorkelling is a trip over rubble and fire coral. But it remains the best close to the US. If you go for 2 weeks or longer you should consider beyond the Caribbean --- well beyond.

My current choice would be Sulawesi in Indonesia; perhaps NE Bali if you need more night-life and have to have shore diving. $1900 (= €120 per night) will get you 12 nights accommodation, 3 boat dives per day, all you meals and non-alc beverages, and you will have about €250 left over for the extra flight cost. For that you will get +4x the fish species density and infinitely better corals than on Bonaire. Beware - alcohol is expensive. The Siladen island west reef has the best instantly available snorkling that I have yet come across - you walk across sand to a channel leading 10m to the wall. Otherwise the Philipines, if you can deal with an occasional leech.

But regarding your detail. Yup, Gran Cayman prices are wicked. Taxes are high and exchange rate is crabby. Overrated fish life. Really good (I mean REALLY good snorkelling places can be counted on one hand). Used to go there but then found better fish, corals (2002-2006) and value in Cozumel. Roatan has prices everywhere from Mayoka at €434 per night to Coconut Tree Cabins where I stayed for absolute peanuts (nice deck; good airco; don't plan on cooking a 4-course meal in the kitchen, and don't go in May or the sand flies will carry you away). OUCH - $3800 per fortnight!! Where was this? At Anthony's? Roatan annual dive fee $10. Roatan rental equipment $5 per day. Bonaire - $24+.

Bonaire charges $5.50 per tourist per day. 4 peeps and that is $22 to add onto the $120 for the apartment. (= almost 20% extra). Snorklers tag costs $15. Free most other places. Then add the theme of this thread.

So, you see, you were wrong, Kharon. Or overly sarcastic at best. I don't need excuses. I have ample experience not to need them. And if you have to search for the good snorkelling spots ..... say no more.

@Kharon. I couldn't agree more with you. In general, over the past 20 years the quality of Caribbean diving has gone into the toilet. Belize is a mess. Costs are through the roof. After 5 visits to Bonaire since 1996, I have seen a serious decline. Where are the big groupers? For my wife and daughter-in-law, the snorkelling is a trip over rubble and fire coral. But it remains the best close to the US. If you go for 2 weeks or longer you should consider beyond the Caribbean --- well beyond.

My current choice would be Sulawesi in Indonesia; perhaps NE Bali if you need more night-life and have to have shore diving. $1900 (= €120 per night) will get you 12 nights accommodation, 3 boat dives per day, all you meals and non-alc beverages, and you will have about €250 left over for the extra flight cost. For that you will get +4x the fish species density and infinitely better corals than on Bonaire. Beware - alcohol is expensive. The Siladen island west reef has the best instantly available snorkling that I have yet come across - you walk across sand to a channel leading 10m to the wall. Otherwise the Philipines, if you can deal with an occasional leech.

But regarding your detail. Yup, Gran Cayman prices are wicked. Taxes are high and exchange rate is crabby. Overrated fish life. Really good (I mean REALLY good snorkelling places can be counted on one hand). Used to go there but then found better fish, corals (2002-2006) and value in Cozumel. Roatan has prices everywhere from Mayoka at €434 per night to Coconut Tree Cabins where I stayed for absolute peanuts (nice deck; good airco; don't plan on cooking a 4-course meal in the kitchen, and don't go in May or the sand flies will carry you away). OUCH - $3800 per fortnight!! Where was this? At Anthony's? Roatan annual dive fee $10. Roatan rental equipment $5 per day. Bonaire - $24+.

Bonaire charges $5.50 per tourist per day. 4 peeps and that is $22 to add onto the $120 for the apartment. (= almost 20% extra). Snorklers tag costs $15. Free most other places. Then add the theme of this thread.

So, you see, you were wrong, Kharon. Or overly sarcastic at best. I don't need excuses. I have ample experience not to need them. And if you have to search for the good snorkelling spots ..... say no more.

Indeed. Looking at a dive vacation and contemplating either Atlantis Dumaguette in the Philippines or KBR in N. Sulawesi, both where I've been before. But I like Bonaire for its relaxed diving and recognize the level of petty theft though, thankfully, I've not had a problem with

I'm headed back September 29th for 6 weeks.. I've been doing Bonaire diving and never tired of it.. The freedom to do it at your own pace is worth it.. I find the locals happy and helpful.. I've never had a problem, Knock on wood.. But I'm not bringing crap with me to dive sites that are worth anything..

Jim...

Testify oldschoolto....been diving Bonaire for 18 years and never had a problem when practicing common sense crime prevention measures....13 days and a wake up till next trip.....this makes...guess I no longer know after so many in the last 18 years....nothing like the Home of Diving Freedom...Bonaire.....

Back
Top Bottom