Bonaire Burglar Stopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but your idea of 480 car breakins is totally ridiculous.

As rjsimp stated, it depends on your definition of a break-in. Do you consider a truck that has been searched to be a break-in, even if nothing was stolen? I do.

I made my first trip to Bonaire in August. Someone in our group witnessed a guy entering a house through a window just a block from the Carib Inn, where we were staying. A neighbor said that there are numerous thefts in the area and eyes just turn the other way. I know crime is everywhere, but it is hard to have to deal with while on vacation. I am still amazed about the "leave windows and doors unlocked on your truck" policy.

I am truly suprised at those who would defend any place that seems to have a total disregard for a person's right to keep what they own. It should not matter whether it is a camera or a chapstick. If you leave it in your room or your vehicle, it should be there when you go back. Every place I have every traveled to for diving, has been safe and I felt very secure. Otherwise, I do not go there. It just seems most divers on this post are willing to overlook "minor" theft for diving. Has it occurred to anyone that petty theft gone unchecked will eventually lead to more serious crimes? Obviously the thieves are getting bolder. Perhaps if the island was boycott for even a six month period to let the authorities and natives know it will not be tolerated, they would take steps to prevent it.

I also think it is ridiculous to compare crime on Bonaire to the USA or anywhere else. Bonaire is a destination chosen by each vacationer. I would not choose to vacation in Detroit (no offense to Detroitees). We are talking about local natives of a small island targeting the tourists for crime. I would think with the amount of income this brings to all on the island the local authorities would put a stop to it. Obviously they are not and I can see why with the tone of all the chats I have read regarding crime in Bonaire.

It is such a shame that the crime can not be handled differently. I know it will never be able to be controlled 100%, but it seems like the local authorities and residents of Bonaire could make a better attempt to handle the problem. As much as I loved the diving in Bonaire, the problem with the theft will definitly be taken into consideration before planning another trip.

It is such a shame that the crime can not be handled differently. I know it will never be able to be controlled 100%, but it seems like the local authorities and residents of Bonaire could make a better attempt to handle the problem. As much as I loved the diving in Bonaire, the problem with the theft will definitly be taken into consideration before planning another trip.
It does discourage some, of course. It probly costs the island more than the thieves get and more than it would to control it at a reasonable level. Some of the island fans who have posted here say that it won't stop them from returning, but it will stop some and discourage others enough to not be eager.

As Submarinismo suggests tho, the island has little encouragement to change. Some people there read these posts, others just keep doing what they've been doing - accepting that the thieves get to do what they do but the tourists come anyway.

With cajones that tuner fish has, he's welcome to provide security on our next trip! A few free beers will be provided!

And so it goes, AGAIN. First it was, hey, it's just sunglasses and chapstick they're stealing from your rental car, then it was gas from your rental car, then tires from your rental car, then it was catch and release by the feckless cops on Bonaire, then it was room burglaries, then safes getting pulled out of the damn walls, then burglaries while tourists slept in the other room, then it was kidnapping and now murder. Anyone see a bad pattern here? And the people with a vestied interest in Bonaire [most will claim they don't] will plead with you to ignore these warnings. If nothing is done to stem the rising tide of crime on Bonaire why would you be surprised to see it escalate, get worse, get more serious and more deadly?

Of course the usual cast of characters will come along and attack and say that it's Boniare bashing, when all it is is pointing out the truth - Bonaire is getting very unsafe and there are many many places in the Dive World that are safer. Go to Boniare at your own risk.:shakehead:

People have to demand change or else go elsewhere. It will not change till it is forced to change.

And so it goes, AGAIN. First it was, hey, it's just sunglasses and chapstick they're stealing from your rental car, then it was gas from your rental car, then tires from your rental car, then it was catch and release by the feckless cops on Bonaire, then it was room burglaries, then safes getting pulled out of the damn walls, then burglaries while tourists slept in the other room, then it was kidnapping and now murder. Anyone see a bad pattern here? And the people with a vestied interest in Bonaire [most will claim they don't] will plead with you to ignore these warnings. If nothing is done to stem the rising tide of crime on Bonaire why would you be surprised to see it escalate, get worse, get more serious and more deadly?

Of course the usual cast of characters will come along and attack and say that it's Boniare bashing, when all it is is pointing out the truth - Bonaire is getting very unsafe and there are many many places in the Dive World that are safer. Go to Boniare at your own risk.:shakehead:

Blah, Blah, Blah, we have a group of 45 down there now we will see what they come up :idk:with Or are u just blowing smoke out of your A$% Again

Not only defend but urge you to ignore all the bad stuff. They even accuse teh people that report these stories of lying and call us that point out how unsafe it is as bonaire bashers

I am truly suprised at those who would defend any place that seems to have a total disregard for a person's right to keep what they own. It should not matter whether it is a camera or a chapstick. If you leave it in your room or your vehicle, it should be there when you go back. Every place I have every traveled to for diving, has been safe and I felt very secure. Otherwise, I do not go there. It just seems most divers on this post are willing to overlook "minor" theft for diving. Has it occurred to anyone that petty theft gone unchecked will eventually lead to more serious crimes? Obviously the thieves are getting bolder. Perhaps if the island was boycott for even a six month period to let the authorities and natives know it will not be tolerated, they would take steps to prevent it.

I also think it is ridiculous to compare crime on Bonaire to the USA or anywhere else. Bonaire is a destination chosen by each vacationer. I would not choose to vacation in Detroit (no offense to Detroitees). We are talking about local natives of a small island targeting the tourists for crime. I would think with the amount of income this brings to all on the island the local authorities would put a stop to it. Obviously they are not and I can see why with the tone of all the chats I have read regarding crime in Bonaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom