Bonaire Burglar Stopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PIFI

Welcome back to the Bonaire section. I was starting to worry that you ran out of BS (Bonaire Stuff of course :D) to spread. Glad to see your stockpiles have been refreshed and that you are putting them to good use on the topic of Bonaire crime.

Last edited:
Often asked but never answered, satisfactorily.:confused:

It makes a lot of us wonder.

What I don't get is the vehicle theft and the leave nothing in the vehicle issues.

My experience on Curacao is that the vast majority of rental vehicles have an alarm system.

It is annoying, as they don't give you any instructions as to how to arm and disarm it. If you don't arm and disarm it, it will arm itself. Not much vehicle theft with that noise going on.

Why can't they do the same thing on Bonaire?
That would cut down on the vehicle theft, the broken glass and who knows what else.

Any thoughts on why they don't do that?

It just makes me wonder?

Is it just an old vehicle fleet on Bonaire? Not willing to spend the little money necessary to equip the vehicles?

Good point, they not as useful in remote areas.

You wold certainly know when you returned that you had a break in, not that it would help.

Or maybe you would get lucky and someone would come by an hear it?

Are all of the shore dives on Bonaire remote? Or how many are? Most?

Good point though, that may be why they don't do it.

Are all of the shore dives on Bonaire remote? Or how many are? Most?

Most but definitely not all.

Car alarms in remote areas are pointless...

Let me fix this for you:

"Car alarms are pointless..."

Seriously, when you neighbor's car alarm goes off at 2:00am, what do you say? "Wow, I should call the police now!" Hmmmm.... No. Probably something more along the lines of "I wish that idiot would walk out there and turned that stupid alarm off!"

Nobody pays any attention to car alarms. Remote or otherwise.

-Charles

While no ONE THING is the cure all, it is certainly a step in the right direction. It could be enough to make the burglar rush because he's never sure everyone will turn over and ignore it. It's indeed a small step but the journey of a thousand miles begins.....................................

Let me fix this for you:

"Car alarms are pointless..."

Seriously, when you neighbor's car alarm goes off at 2:00am, what do you say? "Wow, I should call the police now!" Hmmmm.... No. Probably something more along the lines of "I wish that idiot would walk out there and turned that stupid alarm off!"

Nobody pays any attention to car alarms. Remote or otherwise.

-Charles

Agreed, but thought I would get slammed if i said it that way :wink:

What must be remembred: if you have not installed a car alarm you might, probably would, ignore one if it went off late at night, but if you had an alram on your rental car you would pay attention, take action of some kind when the alarm goes off. The intent of the alram is not to get others to take action when they hear it, necessarily, but to arouse you and to cause a disturbance for the crooks. One thing is for sure, if you hear one in the afternoon at a dive site, and you are close enough to hear it, you will look over to see what is going on, and crooks don't like that. Will it stamp out theft? No, but it will make it a little harder for the crooks to rob in stealth. Hey, every little bit helps.

"Why can't they do the same thing on Bonaire?" Guess it's not their way, as they don't seem open to suggestions from others. I find car alarms irritating tho; no one takes them seriously here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom