Bonaire Burglar Stopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They actually did find the Dutch girl that was missing....unfortunately it was her body in a shallow grave. :(
Very sorry to hear that.
I have to agree that it doesn't seem like the police or locals care much about the petty crime...heck, it's not like you even SEE police when you're there (we saw them twice in 2 weeks). On the other hand, we were glad to know the "rules" prior to arriving about leaving the truck windows down and doors unlocked at dive sites, and since we already never leave anything of value in vehicles, it worked well for us.
That's the part that bothers me and again I am discussing the idea as one who has not been there but as much as the locals like tourist money, it would be nice if they acted like they appreciate tourism enough to take action on crimes against tourists. I do feel this is more common in other destinations to varying degrees.

I don't like irritating those who get defensive about Bonaire.

Don, I don't disagree with you about the petty crime and that it could be severely curbed by a caring and active police force. The only thing I disagree with you about is that Bonaire is an unsafe place to go. We found Bonaire to be just as safe as Maui or Grand Cayman (for instance), and like Bonaire, we follow the "rules" on those islands to make sure our stuff is safe.

Unfortunately where there are people (and drugs) there will be petty crime, that's just a matter of fact. Personally, I think you're missing out on a fabulous dive destination by avoiding Bonaire, but you have to do what you feel comfortable doing. Heck, it's not like we all don't have destinations that keep dropping down the list of places to go, mine is Roatan....but not because of crime. :wink:

but I have to wonder why Bonaire gets the most warnings.

Thats pretty much my take on it as well. No smoke without fire.

Either there is an orchestrated campaign to give Bonaire a bad name or there is a genuine problem.

I have been to Bonaire once.Enjoyed the diving but found it tedious having to remove everything from the truck before diving.Lots of broken vehicle glass at some sites.
Went to Aruba once. Had a tire stolen off a jeep.

Been to Cayman maybe 10 times. No problems,no signs of vehicle break ins. Have often left clothes,towels,Tevas,mesh bags etc in open jeeps at remote dive sites. Nothing has ever been taken.

The difference between Saba and Bonaire,both Dutch Islands is interesting. On Saba we were not given a room key. Left the door unlocked all week . Thats MY kind of vacation destination.

I don't think I suggested that it was "unsafe place to go"; didn't mean that. For personal safety, I would imagine it's about as safe as most popular islands, and certainly not a place that I would feel uncomfortable. And I know that petty crime can certainly happen anyplace that opportunity is available. And I may yet make it down there in spite of the ungodly Houston layovers and the fact that I can't leave my Nitrox & Carbon Monoxide analyzers, alternate cameras, cell phone or two-way, or anything else of value in the pickups after picking up tanks for shore dives. About the only tourist destination popular with some divers on my no-way list is Jamaica.

Whether drugs are largely involved with the burglaries or not, they do seem to be too acceptable to the police, the locals who decide how taxes are spent, and the divers who gladly return with different "rules" than elsewhere. Oh I don't guess I'd leave anything of value in a unmanned vehicle most other places either, but then that rarely comes up anywhere else other than Mexican cenote parks - where we do leave valuables in locked pickups for use upon return, but those are not isolated like your sites there.

Even tho it would be too much to hope for an island police force to keep shore dive sites free from burglaries, it does seem so much more of the expected there. A :search: on all Regional Travel and Dive Clubs for target theft gives a significant portion of threads focusing here, at least to the extent of divers discussing how to avoid it - if not scuffling with an armed bandit in a room 17 steps from the pool, running naked into the night to stop a gas thieve in the hotel parking lot, losing laptop and more while sleeping in the same apartment being burgled, and so forth. Indeed it does seem like "it could be severely curbed by a caring and active police force," but there - most seem to just accept that it's part of the scene day or night, town or hotel, and with shore dives one poster explaining that he leaves his Crocs or TEVA sandals hidden in the water "tied to a dive weight." :rolleyes:

Divers keep returning there tho, and defending the situation on threads as acceptable on this public forum, so I expect that the same police budget, same police focuses, and same newspaper policies will remain: Happens all the time, don't even publish the stories. :no:

To the MODS......I believe this thread has shifted from the specific incident originally posted.

:deadhorse:

For the record, I have been to Bonaire twice, never had anything happen to my stuff, took the necessary precautions, had great dives, WILL try to make this an annual trip.

First of all, I laugh when I read everybody's responses to "Bonaire + Crime". I grew up in a small town, I live in a l;arger town, I work is a very large city. Guess what one major common denominator is??? CRIME!! There is crime everywhere. Anybody that says there is not is full of some smelly brown stuff. Crime exists everywhere.

..........The annoyance is not so much the crime as the lack of interest in it by local authorities..............

This, I can agree with. Crime happens and will continue to. Unfortunately the economic situation is not necessarily the greatest (although it may be better than the USA soon) on the island therefore there is a real sense of the HAVE's (tourists) and the HAVE NOT's (locals). I have been to many smaller places with this division and crime was always elevated....but not always publicized. On such a small island, for so many petty criminals to go uncaughtmeans that there is lack of effort sometimes (and I do not say always). Persuading me to think otherwise will never happen. 15,000 people.....you know (or can figure out) "hoo dun it". I would respect the island even more if you read more about the criminals getting caught and prosecuted but then, this is just me.

.........No smoke without fire.................

The problem with this logic??? Just because you do not see the smoke, does not mean the fire is not burning somewhere. There is crime everywhere. Unfortunately, many on here compare the stats to those of Coz and the like. Guess what??? That is like comparing a BP&W to a Jacket style BCD. Two different types of diving and situations. As Clay stated, it is Shore Diving Heaven. This means everybody knows that once they see a diver go into the water, their vehicle will be unattended to for about 45 minutes to an hour. This just goes with shore diving. In Cozumel, you do not have a vehicle (or most do not I believe - I sure did not) that you drop in a remote location. There is not one doubt in my mind anywhere that if Cozumel was set-up the same way as Bonaire for "side of road" shore diving, there would be many more theft claims.

Now for the general conversation.

Bottom line is....DO NOT got to Bonaire. They do not want you there. DO go to Boanire. They would love to see you there. It is a great place where you just have to excercise some COMMON SENSE. Either way, the island will befine because MANY of us love it.

What really drives me absolutely over the edge nuts (a shorter trip than I had originally thought) is those who would have every discussion about Bonaire censored to remove all of the bad statements. It is a Beautiful island with tons of amazing shore diving and needs nothing more than that to attract tens of thousands (or more maybe) of divers every year. Give people the good, the bad and the ugly (I was there last week so there is the ugly) and let them decide for themselves. Those that say it is way too dangerous for them.....well I would suggest never leaving your apartment or house because it is far safer than where almost any of us live. But, that is your choice. The island will do just fine without you. Those that look at it and see potential and go.....the island welcomes you. Excercise some common sense and all should be good.

I have not done a search, but the break ins at the rooms/resorts are less common (please do correct me if I am wrong) than truck break-ins and rifling of stuff in trucks. I would love to see actual (unbiased - good luck) statistics that should annually how many people travel there and how many actually have incidences. Is it 0.01%, 0.1%, 1%, 10%???? I personally think that the number would be much lower than many make it out to be.

Just my 2 cents but if you feel that I short changed you and you did not get 2 cents worth of value......take it up with the manager :rofl3:.

And to end it all off......if the "perps" were not caught, then how do we know for absolute fact that it was not other divers that stole things? There are some sketchy people out there, and I bet some of them dive....

Last edited:
This guy should be glad he didn't break into my room. The death certificate of this "burglar" would not have had good things to say about the condition of the dirtbag's body...
I can't believe you gave up the guys cellphone, you are WAY nicer than I am. It certainly would not have worked, at least not after I called everyone on the other side of the world and racked him up a huge bill.

I don't think I suggested that it was "unsafe place to go"; didn't mean that. For personal safety, I would imagine it's about as safe as most popular islands, and certainly not a place that I would feel uncomfortable. And I know that petty crime can certainly happen anyplace that opportunity is available. And I may yet make it down there in spite of the ungodly Houston layovers and the fact that I can't leave my Nitrox & Carbon Monoxide analyzers, alternate cameras, cell phone or two-way, or anything else of value in the pickups after picking up tanks for shore dives. About the only tourist destination popular with some divers on my no-way list is Jamaica.

Why would you want your analyzers in the truck? You analyze your gas when you pick up your tanks, and log it. Why would you fell the need to analyze the same tank(s) again? Not sure why you need multiple cameras, it's not like the island is so big you can't return for a land shot is your underwater camera is not capable of capturing it. Not sure who you are going to call on the cell phone - one reason I go on vacation is to escape from those; and not sure who you would talk to on the two-way (I'm assuming you mean Marine Band VHF-FM, which you would not have a legal license to operate there). I have been there multiple times, never had a problem, but never intentionally left attractive stuff in the truck to encourage one. I didn't scour the coastline for broken window glass, but I didn't see any at the dive sites last week. I'm sure there was some, but it's not like there were 100's of broken windows. I think two things come into play here. First, as mentioned before, authorities seem to do little to curb petty crimes. Second, the locals try to cover up all the bad things which tends to make people more vocal when they do find there is theft, than they might otherwise be if it was acknowledged that it exists, like most everywhere.

(see below)
Why would you want your analyzers in the truck? You analyze your gas when you pick up your tanks, and log it. Yeah on another discussion I was advised to return my own analyzers to my room after checking my tanks if I wanted to use my own. Just never had to beforw.

Not sure why you need multiple cameras, it's not like the island is so big you can't return for a land shot is your underwater camera is not capable of capturing it. I like to pack the dive camera inside the housing while in the air conditioned room and leave it close, but I like to shoot land shots without the housing. I can shoot both from the dive camera plus video, tho - and waste the fact that I own different cameras for different reasons.

Not sure who you are going to call on the cell phone - one reason I go on vacation is to escape from those; and not sure who you would talk to on the two-way (I'm assuming you mean Marine Band VHF-FM, which you would not have a legal license to operate there). I've seen 6 divers hauled off in ambulances - 2 nearly dying, had a friend dive on a shore dive in Bonaire, and I like to think I could call for help if needed on a remote shore dive. What do y'all do? Just make sure nothing goes wrong and people don't get sick? BTW, I think I am authorized to use the radio in emergencies, but I really don't care.

I have been there multiple times, never had a problem, but never intentionally left attractive stuff in the truck to encourage one. Nah, leaving anything of value in a vehicle almost anywhere is dumb, I agree. I could tie my sandles to weights in the water as suggested and tie my coffee thermos to my BC for the dive and those can be part of the adventure. My reg bud and I were laughing today about all the things that went wrong on our Playa del Camern & Holbox trip and it was wonderful.

I didn't scour the coastline for broken window glass, but I didn't see any at the dive sites last week. Were you addressing me? I don't know if there's glass, rocks, urchins, or parasites in the beach sand there, but I do wear shoes even if I am the only one. Hey, I'll wear my $4/pair walmart beachcombers; I've dived in them before, no problem.

First, as mentioned before, authorities seem to do little to curb petty crimes. Second, the locals try to cover up all the bad things which tends to make people more vocal when they do find there is theft, than they might otherwise be if it was acknowledged that it exists, like most everywhere. There you go. :thumb: And while I can agree about not leavings in vehicles even tho that means not playing with the toys I like, I've never felt a need to lock them up in the room or buy extra security alarms for windows and doors.

So what would it take to say NO to petty crime there...??

After an incident that happened to some friends in Quito, Ecuador, I find that a collapsible walking stick with a little extra lead in the handle is less obtrusive but can be as impactful.

We had our pre-trip meeting tonight. We were warned about the petty theft issues around the dive sites.

Makes you wonder; if theft is so likely, why the local officials don’t clamp down on it.

After all, if there is an area with a known crime issue, stings are quite effective.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom