Bonaire Burglar Stopped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that sums it up Jfc. 15,000 people: all of the natives must all know everyone else as well as know who the bad ones are - and you know the cops do, presuming they have a police force larger than Mayberry's. The burglar gets away to burgle another day, when he scores he spread the take around the economy, all the natives prospers a little more from increased commerce, the tourist files claims on his insurance and keeps coming back for more abuse, so - nothing changes.

I've heard the diving is super and considered going, but it's at the bottom of my list.

If it happened to me, I'd probly end up in jail for Texas justice as I would take a baseball bat in my luggage, to the pool with me, and have it in hand when I returned to confront the thief and there'd be no scuffling.

If you want some great diving and a safe environment. Go dive Saba. People don't lock their doors there. Not kidding. I am sure all of the dive ops (3 of them) are good, but we used Sea Saba last June and they were amazing. I think we are going again this coming June.

Ok, so to follow up, yes, the sliding door was unlocked, we were 17 steps away in the pool, it was a poolside room.
Both myself and the burgler were scraped up and bruised.

I gave testomony at the police station, officer wrote it up, read it to me, printed it out in Dutch. I was told a hearing would follow and tourists are not expected.
I made the decision that night, we were going to move on from this. We had been on Bonaire for less than 2 hours when it happened.We were not going to dwell on what happened, we were not going to be fearful. We had the week ahead to enjoy a vacation.

I hope the cops took down all his contacts in his phone..most likely would get a list out of it of other thieves and people who buy the stolen goods.

How can anyone say that it's not worse, or the worst?
Quite easily, I dare say. There are *plenty* of vacation destinations that present far more opportunity for loss than Bonaire. Perhaps you do not commonly think of them when considering vacations, but they certainly exist.

Population for the island is about 15,000 = 20% of that of Cozumel, but we never hear of such there - yet the Bonaire regulars seem to just accept it.
Lack of gossip does not equate to lack of crime. I can quite easily dig up plenty of stories about burglaries and such in Cozumel.

Of course, it wouldn't really be relevant, now, would it? As far as I know, the "standard" vacations are completely different when you compare Bonaire to Cozumel. In Cozumel, you stay at a resort-type place and dive from boats. In Bonaire, on the other hand, most people spend little of their dive time at the resort or on boats -- it's shore divers' paradise, after all. You don't have hordes of divers parking pickups along random deserted stretches of coastline in Cozumel, do you?

Of course, breaking into parked vehicles in remote locations is hardly unique to Bonaire. Consider the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I would consider it among the safest-feeling places I have vacationed, and I intend to return yet again to hike the trails there. You wouldn't decry the terribly lax law enforcement there, would you? And yet, on their very site is the following:
National Park Service:
Beware of parking lot thieves who break into cars parked at trailheads to steal purses, cameras, and electronic equipment. The best defense is to lock your car and take your valuables with you, or leave them at home. Be aware that thieves may be in the parking area watching as you slip your wallet into the glove box or "hide" your laptop under a blanket.

Anyway, I'm not trying to smart off on you or anything, but of late you seem to be spending most of your time posting in this forum complaining about Bonaire crime and some perceived lack of adequate consideration thereof. I would certainly not presume to tell you what to do with your vacation dollars, and if your perception of crime in Bonaire and elsewhere is such that you would prefer to refrain from diving there, that is absolutely your prerogative. I merely ask that you consider giving it a rest when it comes to telling the rest of us that we're full of it.

We need not see eye to eye, but please stop poking us in ours.

Ok, so to follow up, yes, the sliding door was unlocked, we were 17 steps away in the pool, it was a poolside room.
Both myself and the burgler were scraped up and bruised.

I gave testomony at the police station, officer wrote it up, read it to me, printed it out in Dutch. I was told a hearing would follow and tourists are not expected.
I made the decision that night, we were going to move on from this. We had been on Bonaire for less than 2 hours when it happened.We were not going to dwell on what happened, we were not going to be fearful. We had the week ahead to enjoy a vacation.
Yeah, that close to the pool, I can see leaving the door unlocked. Guess the perp was expecting such and watched for it. Glad you went on to enjoy your vacation. :thumb:
Quite easily, I dare say. There are *plenty* of vacation destinations that present far more opportunity for loss than Bonaire. Perhaps you do not commonly think of them when considering vacations, but they certainly exist.

Lack of gossip does not equate to lack of crime. I can quite easily dig up plenty of stories about burglaries and such in Cozumel.
Perhaps so. Bonaire is just the one that keeps floating to the top of such stories.
Of course, it wouldn't really be relevant, now, would it? As far as I know, the "standard" vacations are completely different when you compare Bonaire to Cozumel. In Cozumel, you stay at a resort-type place and dive from boats. In Bonaire, on the other hand, most people spend little of their dive time at the resort or on boats -- it's shore divers' paradise, after all. You don't have hordes of divers parking pickups along random deserted stretches of coastline in Cozumel, do you?

Of course, breaking into parked vehicles in remote locations is hardly unique to Bonaire. Consider the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I would consider it among the safest-feeling places I have vacationed, and I intend to return yet again to hike the trails there. You wouldn't decry the terribly lax law enforcement there, would you? And yet, on their very site is the following:
I'm sure it's the remote parking that attracts much of the crime, and yep - that'll happen anywhere. This was a room burglary tho. Hasn't been that long since we saw a report of one that happened while the divers slept.
Anyway, I'm not trying to smart off on you or anything, but of late you seem to be spending most of your time posting in this forum complaining about Bonaire crime and some perceived lack of adequate consideration thereof. I would certainly not presume to tell you what to do with your vacation dollars, and if your perception of crime in Bonaire and elsewhere is such that you would prefer to refrain from diving there, that is absolutely your prerogative. I merely ask that you consider giving it a rest when it comes to telling the rest of us that we're full of it.

We need not see eye to eye, but please stop poking us in ours.
You were doing find up to there.

This is great, I have always wanted to catch some ass doing such a thing. Catching someone in this type of a situation is so rare. The burglar may have eventually made it to jail, but he would have had to spend a good amount of time in the hospital. I hope you whipped his ass good. Good for you. I would love to have been there. Chalk one up for the decent people of the world.

I love Bonaire and have never had a problem there. I will vacation there again and if I am unfortunate enough to be robbed I just hope I can catch them doing it. I think I could deter them from a repeat performance without involving the corrupt system of law. A little attitude adjustment goes a long way.

Last edited:
You were doing find up to there.
(You didn't bold the "of late", which is part and parcel to my comment. Also, if you're going to start bolding parts, would you mind also putting italics on the "seem"? :D By the way, I *did* look back through the forum before posting to see whether my feeling was completely unsubstantiated, but still, I understood that perhaps my feelings may be clouded, so I made point to phrase it as I did.)

Heading back toward the topic, I personally would not have left my room unlocked, even if I was 17 steps away in the pool. I suppose that's part general suspicion and part being conditioned to expect things will happen when you least expect them. (It doesn't take much time working with brand new students to get used to taking nothing for granted, eh? :biggrin:)

Anyway, my next trip to Bonaire is tentatively scheduled for Christmas week, and I'm not going to be worried any more on this one than on the last. I'm more concerned going through TSA screening than staying at Den Laman.

I'm genuinely sorry for your experience, but glad you caught the individual and had a good time.

With that said - I hope all of you don't go to Bonaire and that way it will make it more affordable for me to go back.

I find it very humerous when folks hear of such an event that they suddenly get scarred and refuse to go to a destination because of it. I say that because it reminds me of a line from the movie Men in Black. I'm sure I'll butcher it, but -"There is always a (such and such) battle cruiser hovering over earth ready to destroy it, but what allows these people to carry on normal lives is that they just don't know about it". My point of this is, that do you folks have any idea how many Burglaries or acts of crime occurred in your town or city last night, the last week, or the last month? I would gaurentee that you don't, unless your town is very small. Yet do you feel pretty safe in your house? Most would say yes.
I've been to numerous Caribbean islands and I wouldn't hesitate to return to Bonaire. Have you been on the streets of old San Juan at dusk? Nassau Bahamas, Jamaica (other then a fenced resort)or Cozumel? I felt much more comfortable on Bonaire hands down.
If you dont believe me about the crime in your community ask a local law enforcement officer- One happened to to write this reply.

This is just a warning, next time perhaps the thief will use a knife. I think more people need to know what the authorities in Bonaire are doing about situations like this. There comes a point when someone has to be responsible for loose felons.
This too puts Bonaire at the bottom of my list, why should I spend my hard earned money to chance a place that has been having a lot of reports of burglary. I've been to Bonaire twice and not had a problem, could three times be the charm for me?
Why not go to Little Cayman, the Brac, Saba, or places that appreciate the travelers so much that theft is as important to the locals as well as the tourists who are there to spend and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom