Bonaire Boat Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEVADiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First of all, please don't turn this thread into an argument over the reasons not to go boat diving in the "shore diving capital of the Caribbean." Suffice it to say that my wife and I (both mid to late 50s) have tried shore diving and found it not to our liking. We are boat divers and the more "valet" the service the better.
Bonaire is on our short list of places in the Caribbean with great diving that we have not been to yet. So my question is, who offers the best boat diving in Bonaire? In other words, if you wanted to go to Bonaire and primarily do boat diving who would you go with? Qualities would be newer boats, medium to small groups, friendly/informed dive masters and staff, gear handling/storage, consistent schedules, etc. When we go on a trip we usually buy a package, so thoughts on any hotel/resort associated with the dive op would also be appreciated.

Can't say how has "the best" boat diving in Bonaire, but I can say I went boat diving with Captain Don's last year and it was great. Their boats were in great shape and the staff is really helpful. They run at least two trip per day and vary the sites. Also, their house reef has really easy access with the choice of either jumping off a dock or using nice wide steps. We stayed at Coral Paradise right next door and loved it. They arrange stay, drive and dive packages using Captain Don's. From what you're describing you want it should fit your liking.

Cap't Don's - Buddy Dive or The Plaza

I have only done boat dives with Buddy Dive - no complaints.

My next door neighbor goes to Bonaire every year for Christmas (for at least 10 years) They stay at the Plaza and only boat dive - he has a bad knee. I have not stayed there so its second hand from them but they love the Plaza!

Agree with above, but if you have the means look at Harbor Village. Not as many dives as Captain Don's but I suspect a higher level of service.

Cap't Don's - Buddy Dive or The Plaza

I have only done boat dives with Buddy Dive - no complaints.

My next door neighbor goes to Bonaire every year for Christmas (for at least 10 years) They stay at the Plaza and only boat dive - he has a bad knee. I have not stayed there so its second hand from them but they love the Plaza!

Toucan divers at the Plaza is not a valet dive service, nor med to small groups.

Is there valet dive service available on Bonaire? Being that it's the self-service dive capital of the caribbean, it appeared to me to influence the boat diving to reflect that spirit.

SEVADiver,
Did one trip to bonaire and because of friend we were with did mostly Boat dives. Highly recommend Carib Inn for that but its probably not something for you as valet diving its not. it is reasonably small groups and you're free to dive your own profile but it more you're on your own diving than hand holding. its what I like but like all things its different things for different people. As I said I like it but I'd guess if you want valet type service there are better choices. Also boats have no shade so again you're on your own to protect yourself.

Agree with above, but if you have the means look at Harbor Village. Not as many dives as Captain Don's but I suspect a higher level of service.

Along with a higher level of service comes$ For that being said i would recommend the Den Laman Condos next to Sanddollar. They have all state of the Art everything, and a fantastic view.

Can't say how has "the best" boat diving in Bonaire, but I can say I went boat diving with Captain Don's last year and it was great. Their boats were in great shape and the staff is really helpful. They run at least two trip per day and vary the sites. Also, their house reef has really easy access with the choice of either jumping off a dock or using nice wide steps. We stayed at Coral Paradise right next door and loved it. They arrange stay, drive and dive packages using Captain Don's. From what you're describing you want it should fit your liking.

I disagree a little. Leo Hoogenboom at Captain Don's is a fantastic DM but the other two on board were of little or no help.

I disagree a little. Leo Hoogenboom at Captain Don's is a fantastic DM but the other two on board were of little or no help.

Perhaps it was Leo who I dealt with. Although, I didn't really require much help beyond a camera hand. I will say everyone at Captain Don's was friendly. They may not offer help unless you ask but, if you ask they help. I find this is typical in the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom